We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dowtown Port Huron

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Dowtown Port Huron

We have visited Fort Gratiot area many times, but have never gone into downtown Port Huron. We saw a few brochures advertising shops and services. Unfortunately the Port Huron website says very little about their down town. Is it a historial area? is it worth visiting for shops and eatteries?

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dowtown Port Huron

When we last visited, we didn't find that many shops are eateries to visit. Maybe that has changed (it has been 2 years). It is a historical area, and the architecture is worth seeing, either driving slowly by or taking a walk. You can also walk along the river, where there are many different types of boats. There is a boat tour, but they were not open yet when we visited in May. You may want to try Googling it..! We did tour the Edison home and it is nice, but overpriced, but they have a combination ticket that I felt was worth buying if interested in visiting the other museums. We did not realize that until too late.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dowtown Port Huron

It may be worth your while to drive through to see if anything piques your interest. More for the eateries than the shopping. There is not a lot of shopping downtown.

Quay st. Brewery is on ...hello...Quay St off the main street (Military). Pretty good beer and food. they have outside seating overlooking the Black River.

The Vintage Tavern is across from the Quay St. Brewery ina nice building and theyhave added outdoor seating upstairs.

Pompeii's is good for italian food on Military St.

Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dowtown Port Huron

Our favourite restaurant in the Port Huron area is Pompeii's . It doesn't look like much from the outside but the food is fabulous. Their deep-dish pizza is to die for with its homemade crust. The lasagna and ceasar salad is also very good. They bring you their home-made bread for dipping in oil, parmesan cheese and spices. Its really good too. I can't believe I'm saying this but I like their food even better than the Olive Garden's and its been my favourite restaurant for years! My 28 year old son said it was the food highlight of our trip to the Port Huron area.

Indian River...
Level Contributor
466 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dowtown Port Huron

I recommend visiting the downtown area if you are going to be there anyway. There are not a lot of stores, but some are quite unique and I am sure the local, small business owner would very much appreciate your business. The downtown is struggling, but an investor has just bought up a lot of the building on the main street and is planning on going in and renovating. Making a nice investment in Port Huron. Hopefully it will pay off for him.

There are also some good restaurants. The Raven Coffee House is a great place for lunch. Last time we were there (which was about a year ago) there was a place across the street from the raven which was very good. I don't know the name.

Quay Street Brewery and Pompei's are great also.

Between downtown and Fort Gratiot on the corner of Pine Grove Avenue and Stone Street is Chicken-in-the-Rough. Great bar/restaurant - Great Chicken. It is always packed on Friday and Saturday nights. You will see a lot of Canadian license plates in the parking lot!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dowtown Port Huron

Hey thanks for the recommendation for Chicken-in-the-Rough. We've passed by there many times on our way up north and have wondered about it.

michigan
Level Contributor
313 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dowtown Port Huron

As a local I highly recommend the recently opened Fuel wood-fire grill restaurant. It's right downtown and deceptively large. It's on the main street just north of the drawbridge on the west side of the first block. Historic building with great ambiance and main floor as well as basement seating - very nice. You can check out their menu on their Facebook page. Wonderful ribs, steaks, soups, sides and great full service bar. Friendly, knowledgeable staff too.

Edited: 8:33 pm, December 13, 2011
Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dowtown Port Huron

Not for food, but for a drink and holiday atmosphere this time of year a stop by the Brass Rail downtown is also a recommendation.

Indian River...
Level Contributor
466 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dowtown Port Huron

Oh yes... you have to stop in the Brass Rail for a Tom & Jerry this time of year!

9. Re: Dowtown Port Huron

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 04, 2013