We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petoskey shopping

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Petoskey shopping

We will be going from Traverse City to Mackinaw City in late July. Plan on stopping in Charlevoix and Petoskey. If we stay on 31 does it take you thru the shopping districts? Also, is there anyother good things to see on the way to Mackinaw City?

I know very little about Michigan, except what I have read on Tripadvisor, so any help will be appreciated. I've got some good places to see for the UP.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petoskey shopping

31 goes right thru Charlevoix and the shopping area. You'll come to an intersection as you enter Petoskey where you join US 131. Turn left onto 131/31. After that turn the road will curve to the right and then straighten out for a few hundred yards. After that when US 31 curves to the left either go straight or turn right at the next stop light. The shopping district of downtown Petoskey is off to the right.

Just to the north side of Petoskey you could turn left onto M119 and take the short journey to Harbor Springs, and then on to the tunnel of trees, very much worth the detour.

Edited: 10:46 pm, June 04, 2010
Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petoskey shopping

Thanks Rono. We have plenty of time to get to Mackinaw City, so Harbor Springs sounds like a good idea.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petoskey shopping

Great info from Rono as usual! Keep an eye out for Family Video and 7-11...that's the corner where you'll want to make a right (onto Mitchell). If possible, time it so that you drive the tunnel of trees just before sunset...swing into Legs Inn (in cross village) for the sunset and dinner or even just cocktails...amazing views and a really cool, unique joint!

I hope you enjoy your time in Northern Michigan, I'm sure you'll have a blast!!

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petoskey shopping

Thanks Deadheadcouple. Michigan sounds like a neat place... I'm looking forward to our trip.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petoskey shopping

On your way north, you might want to stop at Friske's Orchard and Market for cherry treats. This part of Michigan is the cherry capital of the world and the cherry items are delicious. Make sure to try a cherry pie, we prefer cherry crumb, or cherry doughnuts or cherry cookies or cherry anything! Friske's Orchard is just south of Charlevoix on US 31. Another place of a good "taste of Michigan" is American Spoon in Traverse City, Charlevoix or Petoskey. They all sell the same things so you don't have to visit American Spoon in each town but the foods are delicious. Our favorites include sour cherry spoon fruit or preserves and chocolate covered dried cherries. Delicious!

Enjoy your trip! Moms

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,149 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petoskey shopping

American Spoon also has a store on Main St in Harbor Springs. Bluff Gardens is the local favorite in Harbor Springs for fresh produce and local jams, dressings etc.

And I'll second stopping at Leggs Inn in Cross Village on 131 north of Harbor Springs. A must do for a memorable lunch on your way to the Island.

Louisville
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petoskey shopping

Thanks Momstravel... I love cherries.

8. Re: Petoskey shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 03, 2010