We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petoskey Stone Hunt...

Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Petoskey Stone Hunt...

Greetings,

I am thinking about planning a trip to Petoskey to hunt for a "Petoskey Stone” Is it too late in the season to comfortably look for these stones? Not sure if find them on the beach or in the water, or just exactly where???

My nephew was recently involved in an accident which left him with a traumatic brain injury. He is fighting for his life right now, and could use all the energy we can send him. I read that the Petoskey Stone has some metaphysical qualities that will assist in healing this type of injury and ailments... I know that it’s not medicine, but we can use all the help we can get, from any and all sources...

Any suggestions on where to look once I get there?

Thanks.

Greg

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petoskey Stone Hunt...

Hey Greg,

So sorry to hear about your nephew...Let's everyone who reads this send your positive energy Greg's way...or say a prayer if that's your thing.

The Petoskey Stone is a type of fossilized colony coral found only in Michigan, the coral living during the Devonian period about 350 million years ago when Michigan had a warm inland sea. Because of the "eye" type configurations it shows especially when polished, it is said to mystically help stimulate the third eye and psychic awareness. Petoskey Stone is also said to keep naughty spirits from channeling incorrect information or interfering with one's life. In particular, as far as awareness, Petoskey Stoneis said to enhance awareness of the emotions, which can be a boon for dealing with emotional issues. It is also said to clear out negative energies from the aura and the environment. Traditional healing folklore and crystal healing lore purport that Petoskey Stone is helpful for healing AIDS, Cancer, CFS, eyes, head, infections, infectious disease, lungs, skeletal system, and tumors of all kinds. Petoskey Stone is related primarily to the third eye chakra as well as the crown chakra.

Greg, it's getting harder and harder to find good petoskey stones, especially at the popular beaches. To find them in the wild, you'll have to scour the beaches (Petoskey stones can be found anywhere in Northern Michigan, but stony Lake Michigan beaches seem to be the best spot to look). If you're in town, avoid the Bayfront Park, this will be pretty well picked over. Just south, is Magnus Park which might be a good spot to start. Also, if you take 31 South there are several small roadside parks between Petoskey and Charlevoix that would be good places to look.

If you wind up getting skunked on the beaches, there are a couple of rock shops with tons of Petoskey stones as well as other healing stones and crystals...I don't recall the names, but one is right on 31 just North of Petoskey on the West side of the road, the other is on Pickerell Lake Rd. at the corner of Belmer.

Good luck Greg, all our best to your nephew

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petoskey Stone Hunt...

The hunting used to be pretty good our toward Big Rock Point.. Particularly after a storm or heavy waves.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petoskey Stone Hunt...

I don't know about all that D.H. quoted but I know I have peace of mind when I'm searching for them... Listen I have a couple of small ones (quarter size) that I just found on our trip a couple of weeks ago. I polished them up and was trying to decide who to send them to, as some TA friends in the UK love them,, but I'll be glad to send them to you if that would help? Let me know, you can pm me if you like.

Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petoskey Stone Hunt...

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and energy, not to mention all of your help and guidance in my search for a Petoskey stone.

The additional information about the stone was very helpful, and just further confirms my gut feeling that this stone will provide some beneficial healing affect for Jeff.

I was drawn to this specific stone while searching for something that I could do, to help my nephew on his road to recovery. It is a very humbling experience to find yourself in a position of total helplessness, unable to fix what is broken, regardless of how deeply you want to.

His life now lies in the hands of a greater power, and his willingness to live. We want him to know how much we are pulling for him and that we want him to keep fighting. I want to thank you all again for your thoughts, energy and prayers, you will never know how much I truly appreciate your positive words.

Thank you,

Greg

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petoskey Stone Hunt...

Greg: Best of luck with your nephew. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and your entire family.

We frequently hunt for petoskey stones Up North. The two locations where we find the most Petoskey Stones are actually not in Petoskey. The first location is the Public Beach in Charlevoix on Lake Michigan by the entrance to the Pine River. We take snorkel gear and snorkel along the beach about 10 to 15 feet from the shore. We usually have great success. Seond, we find many Petoskey Stones at the public beach in Glen Haven in the Sleeping Bear State Park. Again, we use snorkel gear to find most of them altough you can find the stones along the shore as well just not as many.

I will tell you that we snorkel for these stones in July and August and Lake Michigan is pretty chilly then. I imagine that full wet suits would be needed now.

Good luck on your quest to find cures and comfort. Like Rono, the entire area of northern Michigan provides me comfort and in some ways cures my soul so that I may live the frenetic daily life required as a mom. If you visit Northern Michigan, I hope you find the same peace. Moms

Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petoskey Stone Hunt...

Greetings All,

I just wanted to provide those of you who have read my initial post an update on how things have been progressing with my nephew, as well as my hunt for a Petoskey stone. Well it seems that it is true what they say about “best-laid plans” they often are side tracked, and usually for a reason. As the weather changes, and winter takes her grip on Northern Michigan, I realize that my adventure to locate the Petoskey stone will have to wait. My family needed me here at home, and with the critical status of my nephew, I would have felt devastated if I had ventured off, and something were to happen to him while I was gone.

Fortunately however, with the caring and support that I have found on this forum, I was granted the opportunity to stay close, and still provide what I believe was the healing and curative affects of the Petoskey stone to the regiment of healing practices that were being used to treat our nephew.

All of your kind words, prayers and positive energy, combined with the information and knowledge on where to locate the Petoskey stone further supported my belief that this small wonder of nature would hold some small glimmer of hope in helping to pull him through this tragic and traumatic chain of events. My only problem was being able to break away and attempt to locate one of these stones myself. This problem being out of my control, I turned over to greater powers to help resolve. And within a few days of doing so was answered in a most spectacular way. Through the selfless acts of one of your own local experts I was provided with several small Petoskey stones to use as I wish to help our nephew. You would not believe how this one small act of kindness has sent such healing ripples through the universe. I think the properties of the stone combined with that act of kindness has set off a wonderful chain of events that are nothing short of a miracle.

One of the stones went into a small medicine bag that was blessed and hung in his room next to his bed. One of the stones went to his mother, so she would be connected to her son even when she could not be by his side. One went to his younger brother who has continued to live out this tragedy in his mind daily. And one went to my own son who is also like a brother to his cousin and is also my worrier. This provided them all with a tangible piece of hope to hold on to and help them focus their positive energy into to help Jeff pull through this horrible ordeal.

It has now been a month since our nephew entered the hospital. He has precariously walked the fine line between life and death. We have had many very close calls, and many times when the family had been called to the hospital to be with him, “just in case” The extent of his injuries we were told, should have taken his life. More than once, we were told that if he were an older person, he would not be making it through this ordeal. But I am happily here to say, that after one month in the hospital, he has beaten the odds that were given to him, and is finally out of the intensive care unit and is now resting in a general care unit of the hospital. While he is in no way fully healed, he is at last out of the ditch, and on to the shoulder of his long road toward recovery.

Yesterday as I left my sisters house, she stopped me and held out her closed hand. When she opened it, she revealed in her palm the Petoskey stone that I had given her. She smiled at me and said “I still have it” She went on to say, that ever since the Petoskey stone was placed in his room, Jeff has gotten better. It will continue to stay with him throughout the long journey ahead.

I would like to thank you all again for your thoughts, prayers and positive energy that you have sent for our nephew. I would like to also thank you for the wonderful tips and advice on locating a Petoskey stone in “the wild” that you have shared with me. Many of you described the peace and serenity you found along the coastline in pursuit of your own Petoskey to be healing in its own right. I have made a promise to myself, and to my nephew that when he is strong enough, he will join me in my adventure to locate a Petoskey stone of his own. Perhaps if the fates smile on us, and he locates one of his own, he too will share the stone he finds with someone who may need it more than he does. And as we walk along the shore, I will share with him, a story of a time I was in need of a special stone, and the magic of how it made its way to me when I needed it most…

A very special heart felt “Thank You” goes out to Rono. Without whom, I don’t think I could be giving you this update. Rono, you may never know how many lives you have touched with your one simple act of kindness, but I know that your actions have touched our lives, and those around us, and I truly believe that one action has sent out healing ripples in the universe.

The Petoskey stone, some say it is just a stone. Others say it holds the power to heal. I for one believe in the latter.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petoskey Stone Hunt...

So glad to hear of your nephew's improved health status. I dearly hope and pray that continues, and I am also very glad you have found the Petoskey Stone to be of help to you and your entire family. Keep believing. Tyme

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Petoskey Stone Hunt...

Greg, you made my day. :) Your nephew is a strong person, and deserves credit. I'm happy to have been apart of your lives. Let me know when your searching, maybe I can join you.

9. Re: Petoskey Stone Hunt...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, September 13, 2009