We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a bike and a car/van

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a bike and a car/van

Hi everyone,

I have come from Australia and am travelling solo. I am in Hossegor at the moment and am in desperate need of a cheap car or camper van. Does anybody know anyone who is selling cheap cars? Or are there any car dealerships nearby? I have tried lots of local classifieds websites with no luck so far. I don't mind travelling to Bayonne or other surrounding areas if i need to. Also in the meantime i need a cheap bike to get around on if anyone can help me out there.

Thanks in advance for any help

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a bike and a car/van

Used cars hold their value very well in France, I sometimes have a chuckle to myself when I see a banger "A Vendre" on the side of the road with an enormous price tag. Not sure how Spain compares but as it is so close it might be worth a look online to see if second-hand cars are cheaper there.

For cars in France look up: leboncoin.fr

For a cheap bike you can't get cheaper then Emmaus in Tarnos: planete-emmaus.org/continents/emmaus-europe/…

It might need a bit of work to get it going but it will be cheap.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a bike and a car/van

Thank you very much for the response. I have been looking on the site leboncoin.fr and have found a few cheap cars but i am not sure about my responsibility in regards to CT and Carte Grise and whether i need to get it registered etc..

I just want a cheap car that i can drive for 2-3 months as i travel around the coast of France/Spain/Portugal to surf. Would i be able to just purchase a car and then drive it without registering it etc.? Am i likely to get a fine from the police? i am not sure of the procedure. Any more help on this topic would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again for the information

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a bike and a car/van

The person selling the car must ensure that the vehicle already has a CT. Then once sold you must take the Carte Grise to your local prefecture and get new number plates. The insurance etc on top of that.

It won't be very cheap for 2-3 months as you can probably only get insurance for 1 year.

The police take a very dim view of people driving without insurance and the proper documents. What they actually do is up for debate. Could be a fine or impounding the vehicle or prison...

There is lots of information about this on the internet. Have a look at some of the expat website. E.g. expatforum.com/expats/…

4. Re: Looking for a bike and a car/van

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, March 09, 2016