We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with teenagers and toddlers?!?

Troy, Michigan
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with teenagers and toddlers?!?

Hello! My brother and I are taking our families to Michigan Adventures in July. We're planning on going to MA one day and spend three more days just hanging around.

We have two teenage girls and six kids under the age of eight. What are some fun things we can do in the area besides Michigan Adventures? Are there jet ski rentals/pontoon boat rentals or something fun like that in the area? I'm worried about the older kids getting bored and would like to have some ideas of things we all can do that would be fun, or somethings the older kids can do while the little ones are playing on the beach!

So far we're planning on staying at he KOA Kampground. Is that a good place to stay, or should we keep looking? Any advice/suggestions would be most helpful!! Thanks!

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with teenagers and toddlers?!?

Pere Marquette is a very nice beach. I’m not sure about boat rentals though. There is the tour of a WWII submarine at the Great Lakes Naval Memorial Museum in Muskegon. It’s called Silversides. My daughter was 8 when we went and she really liked the submarine and there were also a lot of teenagers on our tour that seemed interested.

I’ve only camped at Muskegon State Park and Hoffmaster State Park – both are nice campgrounds with good hiking trails.

There is also a Craig’s Cruisers in nearby Spring Lake – go carts, miniature golf, arcade etc. Not a whole lot to do in downtown Muskegon so we took a day trip to Holland and went to Dutch Village and Windmill Island. You take a tour and get to climb to the top of a windmill at Windmill Island. My daughter liked both places since she got to walk a goat at the village but I preferred the island. Very pretty and the windmill tour was interesting.

Although I have not been to one I know there are a lot of different festivals throughout the summer in that area as well. Hope this helps some.

Oakland County...
Level Contributor
257 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with teenagers and toddlers?!?

KOA's are usually a good choice because the majority of them have a pool on site. Hopefully, this one does! It'll be something that the teenagers & other kids will be able to enjoy.

I went to Michigan Adventures a while back and enjoyed that. But, outside of the park, there really was not a whole lot that sparked my interest in the surrounding area. But, camping is always fun in itself... campfires, roasting marshmellows, beach, tourist shops, etc.

Ludington, Michigan
Level Contributor
44 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with teenagers and toddlers?!?

In July there will be plenty going on with festivals occuring pretty much every weekend. I would suggest making sure you bring your bikes or roller blades as there are some great bike trails you can explore. You will be located relatively close to MA and it is at least a full days worth of fun there. If the weather is hot enough you may find a 2nd day of fun at the waterpark is in order. I recommend a day at any of the wonderful beaches on Lake Michigan. Up near MA is Duck Lake State Park which gives you easy acces to both Duck Lake and Lake Michigan. Previously mentioned was Craigs Cruisers and there are a number of other Mini golf courses. I also suggest a trip down to Grand Haven to explore downtown and walk the channel and shop on the Pier. It is about 25 minutes south from MA on the US 31. If you end up with a rain day, the Sternberg exit off of 31 South from MA will provide plenty of shopping, restaurants and a movie theater. Downtown Muskegon has a great art museum, and some historical mansions that can be toured along with the previously discussed submarine. North of MA by about 10 minutes in the Whitehall/Montague area which provides a bit of shopping and a great bike trail out to Lake MI.

Hope this helps.

Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with teenagers and toddlers?!?

There is so much for families in Muskegon! You can tour the inside of a Lighthouse at White Lake Channel. Kids of all ages will remember that. You will want to spend the entire day at Lake Michigan. The Duck Lake State Park is good for toddlers because there is a little channel there they can swim in. But any Lake Michigan Beach will be worth a day. You might prefer Pere Marguette Beach for teens because there are vollyball courts on the beach. But really, beaches are a big hang out for teens, they like walking up and down the beach looking at other teens. Bring Frisbees, music and snacks and they will want to hang out all day.

There is a new boardwalk nature trail on Muskegon Lake North Muskegon. Pretty cool if you are from the city. I think even teens will like walking out there.

If you are board, travel a few miles north for the Dune buggy rides at Silver Lake. But if weather is good, I bet you will hang at beach.

At night there are movies on deck of the old military ship in downtown Muskegon. And go to the subarine if you have never been to one before. You can also go on a sunset cruise on the Port City Princess. If it rains there are historic home tours while young kids go to Muskegon County Museum. There are childrens touch and feel exhibits. This is in a historic neighborhood where there are free flower gardens where you can take pictures. Also a train depot to go inside and it is free.

Ask about festivals, they are also most every weekend. There is also a out door skate park and a frisbee golf course in city. All free. The camp ground will help you out as well.

5. Re: What to do with teenagers and toddlers?!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Muskegon