We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poneloya & Las Penitas

Which Leon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
189 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Poneloya & Las Penitas

My wife and I plan on spending the day at the beach on Sunday, by taking the bus from Subtiava. There appears to be a stretch of beaches along the coast and I was wondering which particular beach might be best for us. We're looking for a beach that gives us a little extra in the way of places to get drinks and lunch.

Thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poneloya & Las Penitas

The beach at Las Penitas has a few hotels that serve food lining the 2km beach but they are a bit spread apart. The southern end of the beach (where the bus will let you off) by the estuary probably has the most choices for dining - Barca Del Oro serves good food but it's not on the beach. Personally, I like the restaurant at Playa Roca - right on the beach with good food and ice cold beers. Be aware that the surf at Las Penitas can be pretty brutal - the waves break right on the beach making swimming next to impossible. The beach by Playa Roca is probably the only place where you can swim as the rock formation acts as a breakwater and the waves are not as strong

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poneloya & Las Penitas

If you like uncrowded beaches I would go on a weekday. Las Penitas is crazy crowded (with locals) on the weekend.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poneloya & Las Penitas

Oh, also I would just walk down the main drag in Las Penitas and pick a spot, pay a few bucks for a drink and you can sit all day. There is a pizza place not far before Barca de Oro, it just changed names but you can't miss it. Good brick oven pizza.

4. Re: Poneloya & Las Penitas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 17, 2013