We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leon to Rivas

Which Leon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
calgary
4 posts
Save Topic
Leon to Rivas

What is the best way to get from Leon to Rivas by bus?

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Leon to Rivas

Get the UCA bus from Leon to Managua, change for the Granada bus, then change again for Rivas.

Total cost about $5

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
20 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leon to Rivas

Note on the above: you'll have to walk from one bus stop to the other in Granada. Depending on which bus you catch to Granada, it could be as little as a couple of blocks (the large buses stop just north of the market, while the Rivas bus stop is at the South end, near the Gas station).

There is also a San Juan del Sur Express from Managua. I haven't tried it yet personally, but I expect you could get let off at Rivas - that would save you one exchange and probably shave a bunch of time off the trip (the Granada --> Rivas buses are the slow "ordinario"s, so skipping those is always nice to do).

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leon to Rivas

Hola

Go to UCA university and then get a cab to Mercado roberto Huembes C$40 cordobas top. and from there you get an expreso to Rivas just a couple of stops on the way so that´s how u save some time instead of going to granada and catch a ordinario bus.

Enjoy Nicaragua

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leon to Rivas

There is a tourist shuttle from Leon to San Juan del Sur that picks you up at your hotel for $25. They will drop you off at the Rivas bus terminal. AC van with backpackers takes about 4 1/2 hours to Rivas with stops in Granada. Easier ride, shorter (I was able to cross into costa rica that afternoon), and no taxi to bus in Leon, no taxi from bus station to bus station in Managua, and much more comfortable than the chicken buses.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leon to Rivas

Hey Mickymoose we wrote this 2 years ago but this sounds like an easy ride who do this trip??? and also leave from Rivas???

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leon to Rivas

I still have the receipt

Tierra Tour

Church La merced, 1 1/2 blocka Norte

tierratour@gmail.com

2315-4273

I know they do the trip in reverse, San Juan del Sur, Granada, Leon so I would guess a pick at the Rivas terminal can be arranged.

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leon to Rivas

They also offered $15 for Leon to Granada or granada to san Juan del sur. ($25 for whole trip) My trip was running late so it took 5 hours to the cut off on the Panamerican where I asked to be dropped off. My trip included a late start, an airport drop off, and a driver who could not find a hotel in Granada. It would have been 5 1/2 hours to San Juan for the girls who rode with me for the whole trip.

Newcastle, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Leon to Rivas

There are two ways to do this 1. Is micro from Leon main terminal to Managua UCA the best option from here is to go to jinotipo and connect direct to rivas. I did not take this option so unfortunately have no info on pricing. 2. Is to Chicken bus to Managua it will take you to UCA terminal (45 cords) from here you need to Taxi across town to Roberto Huembres terminal this will cost 200 cord if you can get it cheaper well done. Then direct to Rivas for 60 cords. If you are on your way to Ometepe you can stay on the bus as it takes you out to San Jorge. From there it is a 20mtre walk to the dock 10cord tax and 70 cord. Last ferry is 5:45pm.

Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leon to Rivas

An update - we didn't get Tierra Tours on that number but the office is still in that location. Next to Posada Pena Blanca. And it's still $25 to Rivas or San Juan del Sur (departs 10am each day).

10. Re: Leon to Rivas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 02, 2015