We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-September trip...is it a good idea?

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-September trip...is it a good idea?

I know that the weather can’t be predicted; but in general, is mid-September a good time to visit Pictured rocks and UP?

I’m late in planning the trip, but we may visit the area for 3-5 nights. We are young, adventure-loving couple coming from NJ. Please let me know about pros and cons or share any imp tips from your experience.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-September trip...is it a good idea?

I would say yes - I have done about 4 or 5 Mid-September UP trips, only one did I have miserable weather (rain, rain, rain, highs in the low 50s). The other 4 times it was usually sunny and highs in the mid-60s (i.e., PERFECT). Try to get to the beach at Grand Marais this time of the year- the waves start to pick up nicely and it makes from some incredible beach combing and sunset watching.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
5,252 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-September trip...is it a good idea?

I would also say yes.

Early October might be even better, both for sunny days and for fall color.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-September trip...is it a good idea?

Early fall is my favorite time to head north. Crowds and bugs are basically gone, the lakes are still as warm as the Great Lakes ever get, and the weather is usually cooperative (the weather can be funky any time, any where so that's always an unknown factor).

I can't remember the waves being bigger (it wouldn't be something would stick with me), but if the fall storms are already churning up Lake Superior I'd say the one down-side is that I would not choose to kayak on it unless you're on a guided trip. Lake Superior is unpredictable even at the best of times and people really underestimate its power since it is "just" a lake.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
970 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-September trip...is it a good idea?

1st week of October was spectacular in 2012. We did a long hike in Pictured Rocks and the colors were absolutely stunning

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,194 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-September trip...is it a good idea?

Its a good idea but if you can be flexible with your plans it be a big help. A few days might be all rain but then we get days of clear dry weather.

As for swimming in the lakes then, I'm not sure if I would recommend it. Right now is the best time to go swimming, IMO, the lakes are "warm"--if you call mid 60's warm and air temps are mid 70's, once mid Sept comes, it might be only mid 60's outside...too cold for me to go swimming. Besides the ocean must not be too far where you live, I would going swimming around NJ vs Michigan in mid Sept. The fall colors are what people go up north to see.

Indiana
Level Contributor
165 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid-September trip...is it a good idea?

I would say that the 1st of August or late July is best if you want beach and swimming, boating. If not getting in the water or wearing a swimsuit, then the first week in October is a good chance of seeing color and maybe having some warm (70 degree days), although nights are cool. I think the last pictured rock boat tours occur in October and depend on the weather and lake conditions. Lake Superior rivals the ocean in its power and glory. September should be nice as well, but the temps in the 50's at night cool things off quickly, so swimming is over in my opinion. Visit Paradise, MI and the Taquamenon Falls if you have time.

Clio, Michigan
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid-September trip...is it a good idea?

We just returned from the area. The maple trees are already starting to turn red and orange. It was sunny the days we visited, the views of the pictured rocks and waterfalls were amazing Although the weather may be a little unpredictable. Dress in layers. We had a fabulous time.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
107 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mid-September trip...is it a good idea?

Getting back to you late...sorry

My husband and I are going to pictured rocks tomorrow. The weather should be 70 and sunny most of this week.

You can usually count on some nice days in this month and in October.....Indian summer, we call it. When the sun shines, it is great.

Pros for going now...leaves are starting to change color, air is crisp and fresh, very few Mosquitos or flies now and no ticks. Negatives: check weather forecast for best time to leave as weather gets variable in conditions now.

Would we recommend going now? Oh yes! Will be fab

9. Re: Mid-September trip...is it a good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 23, 2015