We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subic - Freeport Zone, Theme Parks & Restos

San Juan, Metro...
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Subic - Freeport Zone, Theme Parks & Restos

My family and I went to Subic this past Holy Week. We left Manila Thursday morning, and it being the holidays here, we expected to get really squashed by traffic on our way. But we went by NLEX (Northern Luzon Expressway), then SCTEX (Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway) and got by fairly unscathed. We didn't have a map on us then, but soon bought one. The EZ Map - Subic Bay / Olongapo at P99 was very very useful.

We stayed at RK Hotel (near Argonaut Highway). Lobby and hotel resto looked a little dated. My sister was in stitches over the hotel pool that faced the highway. The hotel did not have an elevator, and we learned that most Korean-owned establishments are made this way (don't know why). But the P5,000 Junior Suite room (peak season rate) fit four of us comfortably, and beds and comforter were, most importantly, clean.

Sights-wise, we learned that Holy Week's really a bad time to visit. A lot of time was taken up by queueing. And the sheer number of people at the places made it seem hotter and stickier than usual.

ZOOBIC. Adult tickets - P425. It may not compare to the Singapore Zoo or Night Safari, but we thought it none too shabby. They had a collection of birds, rodents, snakes, gators and crocs, and our guide was informative about all of them. We enjoyed most the tiger safari. Someone in our group had bought a chicken for the tiger feeding. We were safe in a jeep with grills, and it was interesting to see the feeding up close--though my sister felt sick at the tiger breathing down her neck! The whole park takes about 4-5 hours to tour.

TREETOP ADVENTURE. No entrance fee, but each "ride" was an additional charge. The canopy ride (cable lift through the treetops) + superman ride (zipline) cost P500. My sisters also went on the tree drop (rappelling Aussie style), where they were dropped from 3-storeys high at just 2 secs. Every ride was an experience! Wimpy me, I may not try it again... but it was very memorable. And guides at the park very always ready to answer questions, everybody was very accommodating. Time to tour, around 3 hours.

OCEAN ADVENTURE. Adult tickets - P500. The park seemed small, though very well-managed. Just beyond the entrance, guides inform you already of the show times. The dive show, seal show and wildlife show were all very entertaining, but I turned to mush with the dolphin show. After that, there isn't much else to do at the park, just an aquarium area where they show fishes from different ocean habitats. Time to tour, around 3 hours.

We didn't get to go to the beach. But for an itinerary, may I suggest--

Day 1 (AM) Treetop Adventure (PM) Zoobic Park

Day 2 (AM) Ocean Adventure (PM) Camayan Beach

Treetop closes "rides" when queues get long, so it's better to be there early than late. Zoobic closes at 4pm; on non-peak days, Zoobic can provide 1 guide per group.

Ocean Adventure and Camayan Beach are right next to each other. Ocean Adventure closes at 6pm. Day trip fee for Camayan Beach is P300.

Eats-wise, we enjoyed all the restaurants we went to. Seafood by the Bay (on the Boardwalk), flavorful food, but seafood by the gram made it too expensive. Xtremely Xpresso (Sta. Rita cor Dewey) was the best place we went to. Place was charming, food flavorful, in large servings and affordable. Vasco's (Argonaut Highway) decor was very dated, but food was surprisingly good, price reasonable. Other places we didn't get to try, but were recommended or seemed interesting, were Meat Plus Cafe (Sampson), Texas Joe (Boardwalk) and A Tavola (near Argonaut Highway). Guess there's always next time...

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subic - Freeport Zone, Theme Parks & Restos

Could you write this on the Review pages because that is where people will look for this type of information?

Just click on "Write a Review" at the top right hand side of this page.

San Juan, Metro...
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subic - Freeport Zone, Theme Parks & Restos

Tried that, but found that I had to input each review for the attractions separately. Just thought I could get the idea of the trip across better if I had it in just one entry. :) Anyway, I've used "search" in forums before, and keywords eventually lead me to the appropriate entries...

3. Re: Subic - Freeport Zone, Theme Parks & Restos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 06, 2010