We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Rip Off- Avoid Hotel Snowland

singapore
Level Contributor
157 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
A Rip Off- Avoid Hotel Snowland

This is our experience and we want to make sure others don't fall into the same trap as we did. Maybe our guide was involved as he was the one who brought us straight there and we trusted him, unknowingly.

We did the Annapurna Sanctuary just 2 weeks ago and put up in Hotel Snowland as the airport in which our early morning flight was to be was just across the hotel. Upon payment of our bill, we were charged 1050nrp for a triple room with attached bathroom.

The highest we had paid at high camp was 500nrp.

We were the only guests at the hotel and we had ordered our food all at the hotel. It was too late to move out. We questioned the owner who ignored us and refused to do anything about the billing.

Jomson is accessible by many forms of public transport unlike the remote trek area in Manang. To be charged this rate is simply ridiculous!

Please avoid this hotel if you don't want to be fleeced. There are many much better ones just close by and much cheaper.

9 replies to this topic
France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,432 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Rip Off- Avoid Hotel Snowland

It shouldn't have to charge that high if your guide is not involved on this. I can not say surely but if you have a guide then they would give you even better rate than that. I have been to Jomsom couple of times and staying in different hotels but never paid that high. Once I was staying in Hotel Xanedu, Jomsom and the room was quite nice and was kinda deluxe. I paid US$ 10 approx. for the room. They didn't give a room to my guide and that's why I also had to share with him as he is also my best friend. I am not sure why he charged you that high!

PS: I guess the trek you did was Annapurna Circuit not sanctuary!

singapore
Level Contributor
157 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Rip Off- Avoid Hotel Snowland

I can't find Hotel Snowland in Jomson's list of lodging to give my review so I think this is the best way to warn others, quickly.

Fyi, our guide and 2 porters were staying in another room for 3 people just opposite from ours on the same floor. We feel somehow, we were also paying for their room but we have no proof. Also because, as far as we know, that was not the way it was suppose to be. As you have pointed out, the hotel would gladly give special favors to guide who bring them guests.

First, we asked our guide why the high price of the room. He lamely told us to ask the owner himself and offer no help of any kind. That was also when we felt he might had ganged up with the hotel.

A good lesson learnt! And you are right, we did the Annapurna Circuit.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Rip Off- Avoid Hotel Snowland

Are you really serious in claiming that 1050 Nepalese Rupee is expensive. That converts to $12.82 Australian Dollar.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Rip Off- Avoid Hotel Snowland

Yes, I am posting as Mike Beinke.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Rip Off- Avoid Hotel Snowland

I might add that I stayed at Hotel Snowland early December 2011 and found no fault with the establishment. I will grant that it is basic but it was clean. My only observation was that there seemed to be a reluctance to close the front door which I did on a number of occasions. I guess they don't feel the cold. The food was good in the Dining Room and as a concession to the cold there was a brazier underneath the table which was completely covered with a blanket (obviously to keep the warmth in) and then covered with a table cloth. The particular advantage of the hotel was its location opposite the the airport gate. This was important to me as I have experienced the mad scramble to be first at Lukla Airport.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Rip Off- Avoid Hotel Snowland

I'm confused ! The OP mentions the Sanctuary, #1 makes the (logical) assumption that it was actually the Annapurna Circuit, whilst #5 talks of Lukla. Where is this elusive hotel ?

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,651 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Rip Off- Avoid Hotel Snowland

I agree Alan – Also, I wonder if they have survived the earthquakes – Nepal Really Is going through an Awful time just now

Best Regards

Rob

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Rip Off- Avoid Hotel Snowland

I'm curious why this thread is being continued after a 2½ pause (by someone whose only three posts are on it). Anyway, more serious issues at hand.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Rip Off- Avoid Hotel Snowland

True in both respects Chipshot: I hadn't noticed that the OP was 2 years ago, and there are indeed far more serious matters at hand.

Reply to: A Rip Off- Avoid Hotel Snowland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jomsom
More Jomsom Topics