We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another sleeping bag question (ABC)

Arizona
Level Contributor
216 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Another sleeping bag question (ABC)

I know many sleeping bag questions have been asked, but I couldn't find much info on liners. We are planning on doing ABC in late March and I've read that it will probably be pretty cold at the higher elevations. I have a 20 degree F bag and I don't think that will be sufficient. Has anyone tried the liners that add 10-25 degrees F to a sleeping bag? I don't want to buy a colder bag that I won't use much, if ever again. I also don't want to rent a bag.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another sleeping bag question (ABC)

Hello,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

It's currently summer season in Nepal welcoming monsoon soon. 20 Degree F is about -6.666 Degree Celsius which looks fine to me. If it's genuine brand them -6 is quite good one. In case you are not confident then you can buy a liner in Kathmandu too, warms ones are also quite cheap. About 15 $ for a warm liner is not bad.

Good Luck!

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Another sleeping bag question (ABC)

Liners do not add as much warmth as they claim. Getting a fleece liner in Kathmandu costs pennies, though. At the time you are going is not the highest season, you can get blankets in the lodges to supplement your bag. So get a cheap liner, ask for blankets and use your down jacket as a duvet, you will survive just fine.

Asia
Level Contributor
233 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another sleeping bag question (ABC)

I just got back from EBC and had a fleece liner, while it is debatable whether or not it was needed, I was glad I had it as I was always toasty warm in the night and I really feel the cold, further lower down, where it was not so cold, I used the liner and an underlayer and slept on top of it. If you have room in your pack and are happy with the extra bulk and weight then I would add a fleece liner, and if I ever went again I would take one as well. The only downside is you will get hopelessly tangled in the liner at night!.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another sleeping bag question (ABC)

I don't think there's any need to buy another sleeping bag ! A 20 degree F bag, supplemented by any sort of liner, plus a blanket if necessary, (and even a layer or two of clothing) should keep you amply warm.

toronto
Level Contributor
226 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another sleeping bag question (ABC)

I guess by now u already made it to EBC!! we just came back april21~may 6,2014

We thought of bringing our own sleeping bags fm Canada but at the end we didnt(glad we didnt) as u can rent one for 70~190rp per day at Thamel. We only bring our own liner fm home for hygine purpose and we didnt feel cold at all in the sleeping bag plus the lodge provides blankets even up to GS! so if u just go to Nepal,no need to bring sleeping bag,save space to buy more gears in KTM to bring them home!

Edited: 11:03 am, May 12, 2014
Arizona
Level Contributor
216 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another sleeping bag question (ABC)

Thanks for all the advice! We're going to bring our own bags and get a liner for the upper parts of the trek.

7. Re: Another sleeping bag question (ABC)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 14, 2015