We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pokhara - Jomsom by flight & jeep - itinerary & tour costs

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
234 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Pokhara - Jomsom by flight & jeep - itinerary & tour costs

Dear all,

Any comment on this itinerary? We have received some quotes from a few travel agencies.

Day 01 - Fly Pokhara - Jomsom, take jeep to Jomsom or Kagbeni accommodation

Day 02 - Take jeep to Muktinath, either sleep at Muktinath or return to the same Kagbeni or Jomsom accommodation

Day 03 - Return by jeep to Pokhara from either Jomsom or Kagbeni

If we take fly in + jeep return, it is about $410 to $450 per pax. Includes one way flight tix, guide, permit, jeep from Jomsom to Muktinath (day trip), lodging at Jomsom, food.

If we take jeep going + return, obviously it is cheaper at $300 to $350 per pax.

We only read about Jomsom a few days ago and it does seem like a nice place to visit after 2 days in Pokhara.

Comments are most welcome. Thank you everyone!

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pokhara - Jomsom by flight & jeep - itinerary & tour costs

Hello Johan H,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

The itinerary is fine but do not travel with tight schedules with your international flights. Jomsom airport is a mountain airport and even small weather issues cancels the flights. So, make sure that you have some buffering days before flying back to home.

Adding one more day might allow you to go to Marpha, another beautiful village also known as Apple kingdom.

Good Luck!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pokhara - Jomsom by flight & jeep - itinerary & tour costs

Hello,

How many people are you? Below are some costs:

Flight: US$ 110 / one way / per person

Permit: US$ 21 per person [approximately based on current exchange rates] / NPR 2000 / per person

TIMS: US$ 10 / per person for agencies

Meals and Accommodation: Approximately US$ 25 - 30 per day / per person

Guide: US$ 25-30 per day

Shared Jeep: Less than US$ 20 / per person

Asia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pokhara - Jomsom by flight & jeep - itinerary & tour costs

I wouldnt do a jeep tour (cringe) to Jomsom. Jomsom in itself is very commercialized- its a bigger town but to most who have done the circuit- its out least favorite spot. I highly recommend Kagbeni over Jomsom anyday. The Kali Gandaki valley opens up in Kagbeni and you will at least get a glimpse of Upper Mustang. Btw. I think its far too long a drive from Pokhara to Jomsom/Kagbeni and I dont recall a direct bus. Most get to Beni and transit from there. Whatever it is- unless its a private arrangement, I think its almost 2 days to do it. I also dont think you can jeep directly to Kagbeni- I recall you will have to go by Jomsom first and take another jeep to Kagbeni. Again, if you have a private jeep- you wont have this trouble. After Muktinakh, you can stop by Jomsom if you want- or stay back in Kagbeni- or go to Marpha after Jomsom, its a small town but the food is cheaper and by now-all the shops should be open for the season- Marpha is Nepal's apple capital. To Muktinakh in 3 days sounds rushed. And yes, I agree with Rhymth- flights to Jomsom are not consistent. The airport sits on the windy valley and after 930, if the weather picks up, all flights will be cancelled.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
234 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pokhara - Jomsom by flight & jeep - itinerary & tour costs

@Rhythm D

Thanks for your warm welcome. We are trying to put a "buffer" of 5 days before our scheduled return flight KTM-KUL. Thanks for the reminder and hopefully we are able to achieve this target. In total, we only have 8d7n in Nepal so we are trying to be careful on the timing. Is Marpha accessible from the transportation route down from Jomsom to Pokhara? If that's the case, we might have a look.

@Himalayan L

Thanks for your input. All the prices look reasonable and we sincerely thank you for the good estimate. Except that we intend to use private jeep throughout the journey; for example; Jomsom-Kagbeni-Muktinath and Jomson-Pokhara.

@plopsywhopsy

Apa khabar? Thanks for the valuable input. We do have the intention to use private transportation for our own comfort and we are trying to limit hiking as much as possible (1-hour hiking to a nice panoramic view would be fine though). We have read about using public transportation and changing jeep or buses here and there. Honestly, we try not to take that option. It also depends what you meant by "rushed" if we are able to fly in within 20 minutes and use private jeep transfer to Muktinath. It might be extremely "rushed" if we are trekkers making our way on foot though :-)

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
234 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pokhara - Jomsom by flight & jeep - itinerary & tour costs

Dear all,

Our previous estimate of $410 for flight to Jomsom + jeep tour to Muktinath + jeep return to Pokhara was incorrect. $410 was for private jeep Pokhara to Jomsom + Muktinath + return Jomsom to Pokhara.

Anything involves flying in one way to Jomsom and returning by private transport costs about $550 per person.

Any comments?

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pokhara - Jomsom by flight & jeep - itinerary & tour costs

One comment I do have is your plan for day 2

Please remember that If you decide to sleep at Muktinath you are putting yourself and your party at a massive risk of being adversely effected by Acute Mountain Sickness

Muktinath is at an elevation of 3,710 meters where as Pokhara is at less than 1000m.

You will be Much safer returning to Jomsom at 2800m

Good Luck

Rob

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pokhara - Jomsom by flight & jeep - itinerary & tour costs

If you return on private jeep on your return the best thing you can do is enjoy the natural hot spring in Tatopani. There are not much other things to do.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
234 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pokhara - Jomsom by flight & jeep - itinerary & tour costs

@Rob

Thanks for the reminder. We have more or less strike out the option to sleep at Muktinath. We have slept in Lhasa previously and indeed had minor headaches. We'll come down to Jomsom or Kagbeni for the night sleep instead. Again, thanks.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pokhara - Jomsom by flight & jeep - itinerary & tour costs

No Problem Johan H – Pleased to be of help.

Alas, many of the Kathmandu based posters that have replied earlier seem to be more interested in profiting from your visit, rather than looking after your personal wellbeing, so If any of the above posters have sent you a PM with offers of assistance in organising this trip then it’s a good indication of where their real interests are as well as the poor serviced they will no doubt offer – So a Good reason to give them all a wide berth.

Good Luck with your trip and please remember to pop up a post and let us all know how you got on

Best Regards

Rob

Asia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pokhara - Jomsom by flight & jeep - itinerary & tour costs

If comfort is a key factor, I recommend flying instead. 5 Days buffer is sufficient back and forth. Worse come to worst, just have a jeep backup plan. But if you fly in/out of Jomsom, you might miss Marpha- it is but a short detour off Jomsom. I dont think its far on road, took us about 230 hrs if I "can" recall. Tatopani hot springs is also an option if you drive, but I think the hot springs at home are far better than that.

Get answers to your questions about Annapurna Region