We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on a group trekking company

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
advice on a group trekking company

Hi all,

I am starting to plan a tripnto Nepal in late November/early December.

I am travelling solo.

I would' love to among other things, do the annapurna base camp trek.

I understand lots of solo travellers organise their own individual porter , guide. However I would prefer to go on a group tour. I have a quote from intrepid, however I would love to somewhat else is put there.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for Nepalese trekking companies that organise group tours.

Bonus points for any recommendations for your favourite activity to do in Nepal.

Thanks

Katie

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on a group trekking company

Hi Katie

Organise Group Trekking isn’t really the Nepali thing – Some agents do advertise fixed date departures, but the reality is that if enough trekkers don’t sign up, then these don’t depart.

Far better to organise your own “Group” then you are in charge of your trekking schedule, where you stay, where you eat and the levels of trekking staff you take with you.

Sites like www.trekkingpartners.com are a good starting point, have a read to see if anyone else is planning something similar to yourself and if not then pop up your own post,

There are Lots of great agents in Nepal, most of us often time visitors there have our favourites and I am sure if you PM the regular visitors to Nepal and ask them for their advice then you will soon come up with a shortlist of possible operators – But do be careful who you take your advice from as there are a few scam artists around who use travel forums such as TA to try to gain business, so any unsolicited PM’s from agents should be reported to the site moderators.

Now for my bonus pints ;-)

Well apart from Trekking there is some excellent rivers to raft, wildlife safaris to go on, Microlight flights and tandem paragliding, the new zip wire, Bunji jumping, Loads of world heritage sites to visit, The Buddha Air Mountain Flight to see Everest + Lots More

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Nepal
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on a group trekking company

Namaste from kathmandu,

Thanks for your posting. I think December is quit cold in mountain more than 4000M. So, it is better if you do your treks on November. It is not allouded to write the name of trekking agency in this forun directly according to the rules of trin advisor.

If you have time try to visit your private message.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on a group trekking company

As into-thin-air said you can probably try to post in the site he mentioned plus other travel forums like Lonely Planet. More people will see your message and you might find someone looking for a companion like you.

For the company recommendations; it's very hard to point to a specific one. Most of the regular poster in the forum have their own recommended companies. I also have one. I am oppose of using an agency but generally use a private guide for better experiences. But different members in the forum have their own point of view, some says using agency is better and some says using a private guide is better. You can send me a message if you want my recommendation.

Good Luck!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on a group trekking company

Hi

I echo most of the above. However, I have trekked ABC in December and it's a wonderful time to go; colder than November, yes but this can be dealt with easily enough. The big advantage is fewer trekkers. This does also mean finding a group or putting one together is a little more difficult but still possible so I echo the comments about seeking partners in advance.

Having siad thit, I think it is stil possible to find a group trek form a Nepali outfit when you are there. Yes, the 'fixed departure' treks are widely advertised on the boards outside trekking agency offices but they can be a fiction. In reality, the agents are likely to contact other agents to put a group together. If there are still not enough the price is likely to increase (fewer trekkers to share the cost of the guide). Then again, it could become a group of one.

I think that you will have many recommendations by private message already - sift with care because they could be agents in disguise. One of the posters on this thread works in the industry in Nepal - can you guess which one?

As for other acitivities, visitng religious site and towns in the KTM valley is my suggestion. Bhaktapur, Pashupatinath and Boudhanath are all worth visiting but they have much quieter counterparts in Thimi, Gokarneswor and Chabahil stupa respectively. Just as old and interesting and you are likely to be the only non-Nepali there. That might be a stretch for Thimi but in 5 visits to G I have seen just one other tourist and during daily visits to C in high season I didn't see anybody.

Good luck.

scoodly

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on a group trekking company

Thanks everyone some great advice there. I had heard three temples were good, great to get it confirmed. Good to know about the tours, I will check out those sites. Thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on a group trekking company

Hi Katie,

Like you I am a solo traveler but a lot older than you. This morning I found an offer from Scoopon deals for a tour called Himalayan Eco Trecks. It is a 10 day tour but what's interesting is they don't penalise you for being on your own. They offer various dates for solo travelers if they don't mind sharing a room. The total cost for 10 days is $899. It sounds an OK operator and I am now in the process of looking at flights. Check them out on scoopon.com.au

Best of luck

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
118 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on a group trekking company

Hi Katie,

How long do you plan on being in Nepal for? I went to Nepal last year for 9 weeks and didn't want to leave. have done the Annapurna Base Camp trek 3 times, and tried to get up in two days (after coming back from Everest region, and being full acclimatised) but due to having a bout of diarrhea the week before was understrength and didn't make it. This is one of my aims in the future to get up there in 2 days, just for endurance challenge (as I have been up there slowly and thoroughly enjoyed it). Definitely do the ABC trek. A few bits of advice:

Start from Phedi and head up that way, and then come back down to Nayaphul... that's how I usually do it. The people in Landruk, Jhinu Danda and Chhomrong are really very very nice. They are nice also further up the mountain, but I really got on best with the people around the mid-levels of the trek. I would definitely recommend staying in Hotel Namaste in Jhinu Danda. Those guys are really cool, and the 3 times I have stayed with them have been really amazing... I even phone them from time to time to see how they are.

Make sure you take a sleeping bag up to ABC. I got caught out in March of last year, and they had no blankets left. I slept in all my clothes, but was quite lucky to get away with it as the temperature plummetted to -15 celcius at night there. I thought that I was a gonner.

It's a long trek, but when coming down I usually push from ABC to Chhomrong as this is a really beautiful place to stay at the end of a trek. Past Chhomrong you are kind of in the valley and it can get a bit bleak once you have finished your trek... but I guess it depends on who you meet along the way. It's a horrendous climb at the end of the long day trek back up to Chhomrong, but it is really worth it.

You might also want to head to Ghandruk too, thats a really nice part and that can take you to Poon Hill area... it's worth doing, but ABC is really something special.

If you have time then you should think about the Three Passes Trek in the Everest Region... that is a tough one, but absolutely unbelieveably beautiful and you get to see the tallest mountains in the world. It's completely different to Annapurna Region, more beautiful and more landscapes, but the people are not as great as in Annapurna Region.

We also spent 9 days White Water Rafting down the Sun Kosi, which I was not enthusiatic about at first, but turned out to be really really cool, amazing in fact. That's worth doing, depending on time.

Nepal is by far my favorite country and is magical in many ways. I would love to live there, and hope to one day realise my dream as I trully love the Nepalese. Check out some of my photos of the trip on Facebook...

https:/…

Anymore questions then please ask... writing this post has got me reliving the experience. I want to go back so badly!!!

Cheers

Stuart

www.taedongtravel.com

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on a group trekking company

Thanks guys, some more lovely suggestions there. There is just so much to do, I might have to be repeat tripper like you Stuart. Was hopping for a short rafting trip from pokhara to chitwan. I only have around three weeks so the trek will be the main thing I do, plus a week in Kathmandu.

I was thinking of heading up to the last resort and doing the canyon swing, but it takes a whole day. Does anyone known if the drive up there is pretty, if so it might be nice to do as I will see a different part of the country.

Katie

Chichester UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on a group trekking company

We travelled with intrepid on a non trekking trip so my comments relate to company not trekking we had travelled with them before in India and had a great time seeing and doing things we could not have done without them . Nepal was different poor trip poor value for money poor accommodation and transport I was not convinced was road worthy -let's just say I wouldn't use them again

10. Re: advice on a group trekking company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:34 am, August 08, 2013