We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is nepal safe to visit right now?

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
is nepal safe to visit right now?

Hi,

Me and a friend, (we are both women in our 20's) are planning to fly to kathmandu in mid june to hike the annapurna trek to jonsom and then fly out. We were going to take the bus to the trailhead. Many people keep asking me if its safe and if I need to be in a group and I noticed that the US Embassy has a travel warning for nepal. Please let me know. I don't mind being careful, but I dont want to spend the whole time concerned for our safety. Thanks.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
402 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is nepal safe to visit right now?

Hi there,

Glad to hear that you are traveling to Nepal in the month of june & trekking to annapurna region.No doubt,Nepal is very safe to travel for either,man,woman,girl or boy so be sure that you are fully safe in Nepal.There is not problems in Nepal since 2008.

Take it easy & enjoy the sceneries of Annapurna region as it offers fantastic mountain views with varaties of land scapes.

Enjoy your trekking trip to Annapurna.

Edited: 1:08 am, June 09, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
323 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is nepal safe to visit right now?

Here is the link to get more information on safety - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293889-c134555/Nepal…

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is nepal safe to visit right now?

More or less there is always Gouverment Travel Advice in Denmark saying that you must be careful, when travelling in Nepal. But the times I have been there, I have never experiences anything scary or felt unsecure in any way.

I wouldnt worry about going to Nepal!

Maybe you can try to consider how many tourists you have heard about beeing in trouble or getting hurt in Nepal compared to citizens getting in trouble or hurt in the country you live in normally?

The result will give a clue about your safety in Nepal!

But are you planning on going trekking without a guide?

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
402 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is nepal safe to visit right now?

I would recomend you to trek with Guide & porter ,as guide will explain about culture,religion,mountain & porter will help to carry your luggage during the trek.

Travelling with guide & porter is always safey & comfort as well.

Edited: 6:11 am, June 09, 2011
New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is nepal safe to visit right now?

Thank you for the replies. I would appreciate any further input from others. We are planning on trekking without a guide. Do you think it is best to hire a guide? We can carry our own luggage.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is nepal safe to visit right now?

Without doubt a good guide will greatly enhance your understanding of the customs and culture of the country.

Employing a porter not only makes the trek more comfortable, but also puts income directly into a Nepali family.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: is nepal safe to visit right now?

It might be very helpful on many ways,safety reason,communicate with locals,to get more information and yeah-definitely will help to increase the income as 'Alanyeti'.

Pokhara
Level Contributor
892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is nepal safe to visit right now?

Hi There Greetings From The Himalayas , Regarding the Safety Matters Nepal is Safest country on Earth we had 12 years of Maoist conflict even that time non of the tourist been Harmed , Probably issuing Warnings from the Embassy is the Political concern when they are not Happy with the leading (ruling) governments than this kind of Alert comes when we Were Inagurating the Nepal Tourism Year 2011 Next day American Embassy issued the travel advisory for their civilians Not to go Nepal it was shame for all the Nepalese tourism Industry ... But i Proudly says Nepal is Safer Than any where else in My Travel Experiance ,

Enjoy Your Nepal Holiday

Kind Regards

Hotel Glacier Pokhara .

Edited: 11:16 pm, June 23, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: is nepal safe to visit right now?

You can read the local newspaper to get an idea of what is happening:

http://www.ekantipur.com

or the

http://www.nepalitimes.com/

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is nepal safe to visit right now?

Also visit:

http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/

Get answers to your questions about Annapurna Region