We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Down Jacket or Montane Extreme Smock

Pickering, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Down Jacket or Montane Extreme Smock

I am heading off to Annapurna at the end Oct/Early Nov. A down jacket is recommended but being a Scot i don't want to fork out £150 notes for something i will get little use for in the UK.

Is the Montane Extreme Smock a viable alternative (half the price) and I think i will get more use from it back here

London
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Down Jacket or Montane Extreme Smock

Down jackets can be hired in Kathmandu for as cheap as 50 Rs perday, less than 50 P. They are in good condition and you can choose your size/color/quality.

Have a nice trip to Nepal! Keep yourself warm!

Cheers!!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Down Jacket or Montane Extreme Smock

Presumably you mean either the Annapurna Circuit or the Sanctuary, rather than the summit of Annapurna ! If so you'll find that a seatshirt and a reasonable fleece jacket should suffice (plus a thermal vest for the high days over the Thorung La if it's the Circuit you're doing), with a waterproof (and therefore windproof) available if you need it - i.e. several layers will avoid the need to buy an expensive down jacket. Checking back to a summit photo on the Thorung La I see I was wearing a 'Buffalo' shirt - fibre pile with a pertex outer over a t-shirt: a fleece and a waterproof would have been equally good.

If you really want one you could also consider hiring a down jacket in Kathmandu.

Pickering, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Down Jacket or Montane Extreme Smock

Sorry...meant Sanctuary...not the mountain....nice thought but no.

The Montane Extreme is similar to the Buffalo(Pertex) so should be ok

Thanks for your help

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Down Jacket or Montane Extreme Smock

It would be the best idea if you're only thinking for the treks to hire a down jacket in Kathmandu.

Also have plenty of options to buy,its true can buy so cheaper in Thamel less than 50p.

Happy travels

5. Re: Down Jacket or Montane Extreme Smock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 01, 2011