We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapurna circuit in October

Ostrava, Czech...
7 posts
1 review
Annapurna circuit in October

Hello, i am planing on hiking AC from beginging of October, i have 23 days for the trek itself, not counting days in Kathmandu. I wanted to ask, how bussy is the season ? I like talking to people and walking with them, but is it really that overcrowded? Like always walking behind someone ?

For example, i did the santiago during summer, and the last 100 Km was really crowdy and busy, killed the experience...

15 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,621 posts
413 reviews
418 helpful votes
1. Re: Annapurna circuit in October

It is high season but most tourists only hike a short part of the AC like Chame to Jomosom. If you hike the whole circuit, the first part from Bhulbhule will be quiet and also after Jomosom. Download or buy the NATT guidebook of paths that avoid the roads.

Ostrava, Czech...
7 posts
1 review
2. Re: Annapurna circuit in October

Thank you for you reply, i have laned to walked alternate routes as much as possible, also i can go anytime for September to December, what will be the best time? I am reading through the guides thank you :-)

Is 24/25 days enough for the experience? I don't want to rush and enjoy the surroundings :-)

Edited: 3:56 am, March 31, 2019
Tours, France
Level Contributor
98 posts
3. Re: Annapurna circuit in October

Go as late as possible. Avoid September and October. 2nd part of November can be a good choice : less crowd, not too cold, less precipation, less clouds

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,621 posts
413 reviews
418 helpful votes
4. Re: Annapurna circuit in October

Yes end November December have the clearest views and less crowds, but of course cold.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
16,713 posts
58 reviews
41 helpful votes
5. Re: Annapurna circuit in October

Hi Michal

24/25 days is enough for a relatively easy paced Annapurna Circuit trek with some side trips. Not enough for all possible side trips of course but that amount of time gives flexibility. You certainly do not have to take a jeep as far up the trail as possible and use the road after the pass. The NATT guide, even the older, free online one, has walking times between villages to help outline a basic, flexible itinerary.

I second Timalaya's and Pierre's outline of when to go: going later in your time frame has the double benefit of better weather (probably) and fewer trekkers.

Good luck.

scoodly

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
116 reviews
56 helpful votes
6. Re: Annapurna circuit in October

September likely to have rain, as monsoon has been hanging on to beginning of October lately.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Annapurna circuit in October

Hi,

Wow sounds good to you choose Annapurna circuit Trek..I just came back from Annapurna circuit Trek it was great..so in October you can found lots of people on the way in trial

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,112 posts
8. Re: Annapurna circuit in October

23 days gives enough time to hike from Bhulbhule to Dhampus (the old real AC exit route) and also include Tilicho Tal (with clever staging) and ABC if decently fit. Glad to hear somebody still wants do it the proper way.

Pokhara, Nepal
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Annapurna circuit in October

Hi Michal,

If you are doing Annapurna Circuit in October, few areas on the trek will be definitely crowd for sure while most of the parts won’t be. Few areas include: Thorang pass High Camp, Thorang Phedi, Muktinath, Kagbeni, Jomsom, Marpha, Hotspring, Poonhill trekking route+ Tilicho lake if you include the lake.

Muktinath, Kagbeni, Jomsom, Marpha, Tilicho lake become crowd because of tours as these places are very touristy for Nepalese people and coming Oct. (2019) has almost whole month vacation for Nepalese students due to two of the biggest National festivals fall in October. Also non-students are getting longest holidays at the same time. October is also the peak season for foreign visitors and trekkers in Nepal.

Tilicho lake and Thorang High camp may get crazy crowd but other places mentioned are like town areas with modern concrete buildings and vehicles.

From Muktinath, there are trekking trails which very-very less people are using due to avaibility of vehicles. If you use that trail to Poonhill, your trek will be really peaceful. After catching Poonhill trekking trail, its crowdy for next couple of days ti trek to Nayapul, which will be your final trekking days before you reach Pokhara city. Please carry on towards Ghandruk from Ghorepani to reduce the crowd in final two days.

Annapurna circuit is done anti-clockwise direction by over 95% trekkers and hence you won’t have to cross lots of trekkers. There are enough good places to eat and sleep all over the way except for Thorang Pass High Camp, Thorang Phedi, Tilicho lake and Hot Spring where you might have to consider like many other trekkers for sleeping. The best idea is to sleep at Thorang Phedi instead of Thorang Pass High Camp and omit Tilicho Lake. You can do it with relax in 23 days. I lead this trek with an itinerary of 18 days starting the trek from Besisahar and ending at Nayapool excluding Tilicho Lake.

Thanks

Roshan

Espoo
Level Contributor
3,112 posts
10. Re: Annapurna circuit in October

Nepalese vacationers driving up to Manang and Khangsar are a new phenomenon. I met a trekker in Khumbu last year who could not get to Tilcho Tal in September because all the lodges were overflowing with sick Nepalese, 4 people had died in Shree Kharka lodge alone from AMS. Thus the warning about local holidays should be taken seriously.

Reply to: Annapurna circuit in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted