We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking the Annapurna circuit.

7 posts
Save Topic
Trekking the Annapurna circuit.

I want to do the Annapurna circuit(chame-jomson in late

December this year.

Also I want to include side treks to tilchio lake and Dhaulagiri icefalls+Annapurna base camp trek

1)Is this possible in a span of 15 days?

If yes can I have an itinerary.

2)what would be the cost like in the off season(Kathmandu- Katmandu in 16 days)-~~ approximate cost.

3) I would like to hire a guide along with me for the trek, should I book a guide beforehand or should inquire for one on arrival at pokhra?

4) Cost for guide in this off season/day?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
16 replies to this topic
Kathmandu, Nepal
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekking the Annapurna circuit.

1. Not possible.

7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trekking the Annapurna circuit.

Hii,

10-11 days of Annapurna circuit in

Including 3 days for tilchio and 1 days for Dhaulagiri icefalls

4-5 days of Annapurna base camp( as I will be well acclimatized till then.

Isn't this possible? I am a regular trekker with high fitness.

Not possible because of

a)distance covered in each day

b)altitude gain in each day

C)weather

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trekking the Annapurna circuit.

Good hikers can do the entire Annapurna Circuit in 12 days, plus you have to add some acclimatization days. With the roads, you can make it shorter by taking a bus/jeep, most tourists today only hike a short section.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,096 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trekking the Annapurna circuit.

Hi Prabhjot

1. I do not think all that you propose is possible in 15 days. Not in a standard trekking style (including no vehicles mid-trek) but maybe possible if the aim & challenge is simply to cover the ground in that time. You outlined an itinerary in your second post, I cannot suggest a more detailed itinerary because the distances are too great, acclimatisation is an issue (fitness does not help with this) and weather can be an issue (e.g. making the wrong decision to cross the Thorung La during a snow time because one is trekking to a time target).

You need more time to achieve what you want. The NATT guide has lots of useful information despite getting old (villages have not moved) and it has a sample fast itinerary and trekking times for (some side trips):

nepal-dia.de/Trekking_the_Annapurna_Circuit_…

(There is a newer version which includes ABC but this needs to be purchased.)

2) In very broad terms, $25 - $30 per day on average for food is a ball-park figure but it depends on what and how much you eat and drink of course. Off-season may mean a free room saving $2 say.The required pieces of cost some $40, less if you are a SAARC national.

3) Why would you start the AC from Pokhara? Most people start from KTM to save travel time and given you have 16 days KTM to KTM going to Pokhara makes no sense.

Guides can be hired quickly in KTM and can be arranged in advance. Given your very limited time I would arrange a guide in advance (though there are disadvantages in not meeting guides before committing). Remember that guides are not immune from AMS.

4) $25 - $30 per day, I would say.

scoodly

Mentioned in this post
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trekking the Annapurna circuit.

Though I have done AC 4 times, walking all the way from Besisahar to Nayapul or Dhampus/Phedi all 4 times (ie no vehicles), I have taken up to 30 days. Time was not really a constraint for any of those treks, I like to add on side trips, and to try and better "absorb" the area/place I am in. Slightly long winded way of saying I am not the best person to advise on quick AC itineraries (and we never have any real form of itinerary anyway). However a few comments:

In 2005, the first time I did AC, I met 2 trekkers who, separately, had each done AC in 8 days - I can't prove their claims, but they seemed credible to me. Whether there would be any real pleasure in doing it that fast, as well as the acclimatisation risk, is another matter. I think it would be more like a forced march, than an enjoyable trek.

In late Dec the lodges at Tilicho Base Camp and Shree Kharka will almost certainly be closed - in Dec 2012 they closed in the middle of the month - snow meant we gave up trying to get to Tilicho that time (I had been there in April 2008). In Jan 2016, we (my younger guide and I), and 2 other small groups (4 trekkers and 2 guides in total), managed, after several hours (long story) to persuade 2 locals to walk up with us from Khangsar to open a lodge for 2 nights - this worked really well, but they would only do it if there were a minimum of 4 trekkers, or someone paid the equivalent. That time we got to the lake.

As above Thorung La can be blocked by snow at almost time of the year. Winter is the driest time of the year in Nepal, but this does not mean it is totally dry - I have now done 8 high altitude treks in Nepal in Dec - Jan, and another is planned for this winter (flights booked, trying to decide which trek to do).

Don't go to Pokhara before the trek, if you arrive in Nepal in Ktm - you will literally go past the access point to AC (by road), and have to go back on yourself.

A good guide should be US$25 - 30 per day - I trek with 'my' guides on a daily rate basis - 9 treks so far and for me it has worked really well (they are brothers, one per trek). I also did 6 treks indie style.

Mentioned in this post
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trekking the Annapurna circuit.

Some good info already posted and I also don’t believe that you could safely trek what you propose in 15 days without either taking vehicles between say Jomsom and Tatopani, or putting yourself at risk of AMS by not following the safe acclimatisation guidelines as suggested bon sites such as http://ismm.org/prevention/

If you are taking Trekking Staff then their salary -

Trekking staff salaries when hire out thorough a reputable TAAN Registered agent should be around

A Licensed Guide will cost you around $30 per day

A less qualified Porter/Guide around $25 per day

A Porter around $20

The above rates should include their food, accommodation, insurance but not transportation or tip

Personal costs - You will need about $25 to $30 per person per day to cover your own food and accommodation costs – This will get you rooms in a mid class lodge, a good and varied diet, an occasional treat as well as an occasional shower – If you want to stay at high end lodges, eat steaks and drink beer then allow more ;-)

Transportation to and from the trail head – Prices depend on what sort of transport you opt for but it will cost you around $20 for both you and your guide for a microbus from Kathmandu to Besisahar, then more money to get up to Chame in a shared jeep – On your return, around $10 for both you and your guide to get a local bus from Naya Pul to Pokhara and around $20 you and your guide to get a Tourist Bus from Pokhara back to Kathmandu.

Then simply add all these together and times them by the number of days and you will come up with a good idea of price

Alternatively you could opt for a packaged trek that includes your own food and accommodation as well as permits, but I aren’t a lover of these as prices are difficult to compare as it is almost impossible to know Exactly what is included + By keeping your own food and accommodation separate you can decide where, when and what to eat as well as where you stay

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trekking the Annapurna circuit.

H Prabhjot S,

I wish you very good luck already. This is the type I'm been planning to do someday later. From my personal experience, though it's very tough I'm sure you will be able to do it as long as you drive to Chame or Manang straight. Acclimatize in Manang properly then continue the rest. Drive from Muktinath to Tatopani all the way. This way, it's highly possible. Well, hiring the guide in Pokhara is not a problem. It's gonna be very snowy most of the way so you have to train yourself hard. All the best. Cheers.

Gokarna, Nature Lovers Treks

Mentioned in this post
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,096 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trekking the Annapurna circuit.

Hi Gokarna

Please could you give a day by day itinerary showing what you suggest is possible?

Leave KTM on day 1

Drive to Cham or Manang

Go to Tilicho Tal

Trek over the pass

Vehicle to Tatopani

Trek to ABC

Trek out from ABC

Reach KTM on day 16

I'm sure Prabhjot would appreciate it - and I am interested too

scoodly

Edited: 1:50 pm, June 10, 2018
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
13,096 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trekking the Annapurna circuit.

PS I forgot Dhaualghiri Ice fall - please include that in the itinerary too.

7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trekking the Annapurna circuit.

Hi scoodly,my itinerary is flexible I can make it to 20 days even.

All Ur posts in the forum were very informative.

Reply to: Trekking the Annapurna circuit.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted