We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Bodhgaya & stay around

Taiping, Malaysia
7 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Bodhgaya & stay around

Hi experts,

I'm checking on ground arrangements to Bodhgaya and would like to stay on for sometime (a month or 2) if conditions is supportive - to meditate there.

Pls assist and advise the following :

1) Suitable time to travel from Nov-Mar, but also crowded with tourists. Is it really crowded ? will food & lodging fees overcharged in Feb & Mar ? I'm on limited budget.

2) Flight to Bodhgaya

Dep : PEN/KUL, Travel period : Feb/ Mar

I'm looking reasonable cheap fare with not too long waiting time for connecting flights. I'm considering taking a train from PEN/ BKK and fly off from there, if could save alot. JetAirways seems to offer lower fare amongst others with 2 stop-over, but odd timing.

What is your advise?

When is the low fare period to Bodh Gaya?

Is return ticket cheaper than one-way ticket?

3) Stay around in the monasteries

There plenty listed in web. What is your recommendation & approriate donation per day to contribute?

How to i book/ arrange to stay there?Does it covers food as well? i'm female, velling alone. Is it safe to walk from these monasteris area in early morning (5am) to Mohabodhi Temple / Bodhi Tree?

4) Expenses per day

Could you advise estimate expenses per day? Not particular on food, can live on bread & biscuits. Cant really take spicy food.

5) Any nearest Malaysia embassy, in case i needs emergency help?

6) Travel to Sarnath/ Lumbini

If budget permits, i would like to covers Sarnath & Lumbini. Can i easily get help ( value for money agents) in Bodh Gaya ?

Bodh Gaya, India
Destination Expert
for Patna, Rajgir, Bodh Gaya, Hajipur, Gaya, Bihar
Level Contributor
941 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Bodhgaya & stay around

Hi Cheah T,

1) Suitable time to travel to Bodhgaya is from Oct- Mar as after these periods Bodhgaya get's hotter. but in this duration tourist traffic is always high.

You can visit early march till 1st week of May would be ok if you make up mind to bear hot sun in May and after wards.

Tell me from where you want to head for Bodhgaya, you can get direct flights from BKK and some other cities.

you if come in off season you can able to get place in monastries and that will be comfortable as well as very economical. As you can donate 100-200/- per day in monastries.

if you get your stay in monastry then your per day expense would be very low else a comfortable hotel you can expect 800-1200 per day and 200 per day for all foods.

General advises are for every tourists that you don't walk alone and don't mingle with unknown people. Don';t walk alone in dark streets, though I have seen many tourists start their prayer 6 am in the morning at Mahabodhi temple.

Malaysis embassy is in Delhi you can find the number in google else let us know.

Lumbini and Sarnath depends on your choise but yes you can get budget travel agents but before takins service let us know or hotel/ monastries people hows the travel agency services.

Have good time.. let us know if anything more required

Bodhgaya
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Bodhgaya & stay around

hi

You can visit my hotel in bodhgaya.As it is our new property we can surely give you good deal.

For more details please visit at www.hotelbuddharesidency.com

Bodh Gaya, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
941 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Bodhgaya & stay around

Hotel BudhaRegency,

Publishing own product or services are against the forum rule. I suggest you to please get in touch with Trip advisor team and add your business.

thank you.

Puerto Colombia...
Level Contributor
163 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Bodhgaya & stay around

Well, Feb and march are good months to travel to Bodhgaya, since meditation institutes, monasteries etc hold special meditation and religious discourses. These times, climate is also moderate..good.

For ease of connecting flights timings, you could check on with Druk Air, Thai Airways or Indian Airlines.

Cheah, if you looking for cheap staying options, I tell you. In Bodhgaya, you can get easily Monastery guest houses, much cheap options rather than resorts, hotels or guesthouses. But, they demand that guests abide by not-so-strict-but-pious monastery rules and this way you can also get meditation preachings here. They charge in the form od donations which are very very cheap.

The places are not so much crowdings, the people at monastery will tell you the suitable time to travel.

Same not-too-expensive way, you can tour to Sarnath and Lumbini, since buddhist peace is not complete without exploring those places.

hope it helps...

Taiping, Malaysia
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Bodhgaya & stay around

Dear Mukesh

I decided to travel in mid of Feb. after considering the processing period of visa application to India from now.

I've difficulties in checking available flights with Indian Air / Air India from that period.

My local agent doesn't familiar with this route too, couldn't share much with me. They will call Thai Airways. Doesn't fancy Thai Airways - direct flight but costly.

I was hoping they could give me some advice - worth for value ($ & lesser waiting-time for connecting flights).

I thought of purchasing one-way ticket first, cos unsure how long will be there. If my body could bears with the hot weather then might stay till May. But Local Agent told me I unable to do so with a tourist visa.

Actually I dont have an 'on-going journey' plan, so thought of getting to Bodh Gaya and decide as things goes by... Now I have to decide the Dep. point for the return ticket & a fixed date. Any changes subject to date/ dep point subject to amendment fees. Haa... extra burden to my piggy bank.

Any advice for me?

Taiping, Malaysia
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Bodhgaya & stay around

Hi Jarvis,

Many thanks for your valuable sharing. Definitely it's a big help.

Yeah, I intends to stay at the monasteries, not b'cos of the low expenses on accomodation. My trip it's more of meditation trip to Bodh Gaya.

Wonders anyone could share more infos on these near-by monasteries at Bodh Gaya & Sarnath (Varanasi) - theirs PIC & contacts. hence, I could contact these monasteries and seek their permission to stay there.

Highly appreciate & Thank U very much.

Bodh Gaya, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
941 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Bodhgaya & stay around

Dear Cheah,

I will reccommend you to buy return ticket as sometimes if you purchase return ticket it costs only 20-30% more on your one way ticket. Always one way ticket is costly.

2nd get in tocuh with embassy and i think tourist visa for 06 months are okie- not sure you check with embassy.

Please give me your origin( from where you want to travel) and destination(Gaya as i guess) details and expoected travel dates.. i will try to work out on fares and let you know.

Taiping, Malaysia
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Bodhgaya & stay around

hi Mukesh

Yeah, working on returning route & checking the fares with differ airlines.

India visa for malaysian is 6 months (multiple & subject to authority discretion. Whilst for Nepal is 15-90 days depending applicant's choice - multiple.

Nearest departure international airport is KUL, second is PEN.

But also considering to x- BKK, if it's really make big differ and shorten waiting time.

Travel period : 13Feb or anytime onwards

* Tentative return date 31 Mar ( it's beginning of the hot season right?

1st ARR point : gaya , plan to visit Varanasi

Tentative dep point : Varanasi

many thanks with anjali

Bodhgaya
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Bodhgaya & stay around

hello mukesh,

I am not giving add.I am sorry if i did that and hope i am not also doing anything to disturb your travel company which you just started.

As you said you are destination expert of this place but i know you visit this place regular basis and not living here. We are here since long time and very close to all Monastries and also very much familiar with events happening around us.

The 29th Kagyu Monlam has begun . Consequently, this Monlam will coincide with the annual end-of-year Mahakala Puja and Tibetan New Year celebrations.

17th Gyalwang Karmapa is here from 27th jan and living in his Monastry in sujata bypass road,which is next to us and will be here till 12th march2012.I only thought it is also one event for which people from around world coming for prayers and meditation after kalachakra.

If some one visiting from Feb to march for prayers at same all expenses are been taken care by karmapa monestry as there are lots of tents also putted around.Meanwhile they have booked many hotels of which they will pay or donate for whatever they want.

Some Good things also happen in bodhgaya besides Money..''

Patna, India
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Bodhgaya & stay around

hi cheah,

1) Yes..Nov to march are good months to travel to Bodhgaya.

Since more than two lakh people from across the globe attended the 32nd Kalachakra puja 2012 led by exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, so the crowd is over now in bodhgaya for this season.But still lots of Monlam is coming up.

Tourist traffic is high during this period but due to kalachakra lots of people already visited this place..so i would suggest you will easily get your lodging during the period.

2) I will Suggest you Thai Airways as it will take lesser time or you can come to delhi as now there is daily flight from delhi to gaya (the nearest airport to bodhgaya)

3)These are few where you can stay and donate anything between Rs 50 to anything ...whatever you want besides Food is also very cheap here.Daily early morning meditation is necc...followed by afternoon prayers.Its very safe for all tourist. You can contact :

BTMC - Bodhgaya Temple Management Committee office. ( Here you can contact Monasteries from all countries)

Tergar Monastery Main Shrine - Karmapa will be there to give teachings to thousands of monks and tourist from Feb to March.

MMC Monastery (Mahabodhi Meditation Centre) - Lama Chandrmuni

Buddha Swaaika Monastery (Thailand) - Nun Anne

Thai Monastery - On Dhobhi to temple road.

Rest Mones'' charge fixed charges with not sure of food availabilities (Dont opt for local agents except known agency or hotel as many of them are unregistered and take you to local home stay which is not safe but cheap but not sure as they can provide you with comfort level as campare to it monastery or other can.

Its Absolutely safe to walk alone for morning prayers as lot has been done to improve law and order in bodhgaya in seasons and off seasons.Besides you can see thousands of monks and foreign tourist for morning prayers walking on road towards mahabodhi temple.

4)if you choose to stay in hotel you can expect to Rs 350 to 500 at budget hotel (close to many monastery with 24 hour hot and cold water with room service and cleanness which may lack in monastery and guest houses and 250 per day for food) .

It is advised to eat packet food or have fruits during day time and good dinner in evening.Dont opt for local road side restaurants.

5)The nearest Malaysian Embassy is in Kolkata from Bodhgaya

Address: 3C, Camac Street, Kolkata -700016

Phone: 2229 9183/5514 OR

Malaysia High Commissionis in Delhi , India

Address: 50-M, Satya Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi-110021, India

Phone: +91-11-2611-1291, +91-11-2611-1292, +91-11-2611-1297

Fax: +91-11-2611-1538

Email: maldelhi@kln.gov.my

OR You can contact Tourist Information Office or BTMC or local police station during emergency in bodhgaya but I Hope for sure it will not occur.

6) No need to choose any budget travel agent for sarnath and lumbini. As there is very few for value for money. Try to contact Bodhgaya Bus Station for regular buses for these place at Rs.400 to 1000.

As if you choose travel agent they will charge Rs 2500 to Rajgir, Rs 4000 to Sarnath and For Lumbini anything between 10000 to 15000.

I also suggest you to contact BTMC or MMC or Bihar Tourism Hotels as they take regular tours to these places at good prices with better service than Travel agents tell you.

Have good time.. let us know if anything more required at :-trip2bihar@gmail.com

Edited: 3:01 pm, February 02, 2012