We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the weather now in Caprivi?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
How is the weather now in Caprivi?

Hello,

Just would like to hear what is an actual rainfall data at the moment in Caprivi-Chobe-Kasane looks like?

And also in Etosha [Okaukuejo and Halali areas] and Maun/Okavango?

Is it much water there now or still pretty much dry?

Thank you so much.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the weather now in Caprivi?

Any one ? What is the water level in Kawango. Much rain in Caprivi ....

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the weather now in Caprivi?

Im at galton gate, west etosha. Good rain night before yesterday. Days humid and HOT. Very green. Going to caprivi after 27th, but from what I heard they had good rains earlier in december. The Mozambique plane went down in heavey thunderstorms 3 weeks ago - close to Omega1.

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the weather now in Caprivi?

Im at galton gate, west etosha. Good rain night before yesterday. Days humid and HOT. Very green. Going to caprivi after 27th, but from what I heard they had good rains earlier in december. The Mozambique plane went down in heavey thunderstorms 3 weeks ago - close to Omega1.

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the weather now in Caprivi?

I 'm at Popa falls and since I was here mid november the river has risen 30 - 40 cm. The camp manager says it has been raining every day since november. We had a few heavy showers arouns rundu today on the way here.

Windhoek
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the weather now in Caprivi?

Just returned from a birding that included both Etosha and the Caprivi. The Caprivi is very wet at the moment which will affect the game viewing as most of the game moves away from the rivers during the wet season. Although the rivers are rising with the local rain the floodwater from Angola normally reaches the Caprivi towards the end of January and beginning of February and should last until about the end of April. The Eastern half of Etosha has had really good rain during the last couple of weeks but the roads are still in decent condition. Although they have had some rain in the Otjivasando (western section) the game viewing was still pretty good. We still got elephants and most of the plains game drinking at the waterholes. They will start moving away soon if more rain is to fall. Hope that helps.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the weather now in Caprivi?

Thanks Nick!

It is good to have some eyes and ears on the ground :o)

I know the area around Nkasa Lupala Lodge is very bad at the moment. The tar road from Kongola to Lizauli Village is good, but from there down to Sangwali ranger station is apparently just horrible due to all the rain, and you must call ahead from Kongola so they can meet you at Sangwali and drive you in.

It seems to be raining everywhere right now!! We are having the weirdest summer rain down here in Hermanus! Torrential!!

Pretoria South
Level Contributor
32 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the weather now in Caprivi?

We actually came back on the 2nd from Katima area - I have never experienced such a prolonged deluge of rain ever, falling on already very much drenched landscape. It became a bit of a waste trying to see anything in between getting soaked.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the weather now in Caprivi?

Thank you all for all your input.

9. Re: How is the weather now in Caprivi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 16, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park