We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alternatives to etosha

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
28 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
alternatives to etosha

We are planning to do the Windhoek - Sossus - Swakopmund triangle. We have limited time and dont want to drive all the way to Etosha and back. Are there any other parks in central/southern nambia we might be able to visit for a day or two ?

Thanks !

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: alternatives to etosha

Of course those piles of sand and a desert coast line are fairly unique to Namibia. Nothing controversial there at all. But like other unique features world wide they lack an encore. Ten minutes staring at the Sphinx, the Eifel Tower, Grand Canyon or London Bridge (may as well upset a few nations while I am at it) and you are done with them.

Wildlife is ever changing, unprogrammed and not at all packaged.

Edited: 5:27 pm, February 05, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: alternatives to etosha

To each their. I guess it depends what you are into.

England
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: alternatives to etosha

If time is really limited then I would definately miss out the skeleton coast in favour of Etosha. You can do a scenic flight over part of the coast from Swakupmund which gives you a flavour of the area and then move on to Etosha as quickly as possible.

To say you can see wildlife in Kenya / Tanzania instead of Etosha is of course correct but that is like saying you want to see the Empire State Building but will go to Chicago as they also have skyscrapers.

Find as much time in your trip to go to Etosha, you will not regret it.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: alternatives to etosha

I think the empire state building would be the serengeti and chicago would be etosha.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: alternatives to etosha

Interesting analogy. I have never seen the Empire State (except in "Sleepless in Seatle" and its forunner, sob) but did drive around Chicago a few years back. Chalk and Cheese springs to mind.

I have seen, many times, both Etosha and Serengeti. Both are incomparable and you need to see both. Not choose one over the other.

To answer the original Question. There is NO alternative to Etosha. There are no Wildlife Parks further south until you get to Kgalagadi..

16. Re: alternatives to etosha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 18, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park