We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plan of attack for Etosha

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Plan of attack for Etosha

Hey all - not long until we leave now, and I know some will recognise that I have posted questions before, but I thought I might get a little more specific for this one.

We will drive from Windhoek to Okaukuejo for one night, and then we are staying at the Ongava Tented camp for three nights.

I was wondering if people could recommend the "best" waterholes for us to visit during that time - knowing full well that there are no guarantees, and that things are going to be different every day.

I think there are guided drives in the reserve at Ongava but we will have our own car too so might head back into Etosha proper in that time too.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions - and as always, I promise a trip report with photos (and I am a keen amateur photog!)!!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Plan of attack for Etosha

As far as the watering holes, my biggest advice is to not get in a hurry. I was surprised how many people talked about how many watering holes they visited. Pulling up to see what was there and then moving along. We did much better when we slowly apporached the holes, parked and waited (especially really early morning and late evening). We had rhino approach the hole on 3 different occasions in a 4 day time period, just by waiting for a few minutes.

It would be frustrating to have a car come wheeling in, take a few pictures and then pull away to move to the next scheduled stop. scaring everything in its path. Spooking animals. Many animals will spook with a moving vehicle due to vibrations (especially rhino and ele- their eyesight is horrible, but can sense the vibrations for miles).

Be patient and spend time at each stop. I hope you have a fabulous trip and I am VERY jealous. I don't get to go back for 6 more months... :(

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,837 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Plan of attack for Etosha

Good response Mrs D. Strikes just the right note.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Plan of attack for Etosha

+1 for Gemma. Class.

jemm - I was very careful to say it was not personal. But I have seen other Experts pack up because their "intellectual property" is given away free.

I used to be a Destination Expert, but one thing that made me stop was the constant private messages asking for trip advice. I don't know how Gemma remains so polite.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Plan of attack for Etosha

All good! :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Plan of attack for Etosha

Just a traveller so here is my best shot at waterholes in Etosha. Firstly Okaukuejo and Halali are stunning this time of year. No need to go rushing around, pour yourself a glass of wine, slap the people with motorised zooms and big torches and settle down for the night of a lifetime. Namatoni is pretty thin.

Others I have found productive

Okandeka has a resident pride of lions and is always worth an early morning visit, find the lions by watching the other animals , they know where they are.

Nebrowni has usually something interesting, male ellies seem to like it and nearby are some bridges/culverts that you must slow down and peer at Oliphantsbad has , wait for it, a good reputation for ellephants and has sometimes a pride of lions

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Plan of attack for Etosha

Sorry didnt finish...

but sometimes this pride is at Aus. Rietfontein is supposed to be good but I have never found anything large or with big teeth there.The ones on the edge of the pan like Salvadore are ok for zebra but never found much else there. Goas is very good and gets a big range at different times of the day.Kalkhuwell is supposed to be good but I have had little luck there. Chudob is incredibly varied. Go early and you might see a huge herd of elephants.Klein Namuntoni v good for giraffes but keep on down Dik Dik drive as sometimes there are lions around. Other people have done very well north of Namuntoni, We never had much luck there.

Hope this helps

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Plan of attack for Etosha

Thanks heaps John!

18. Re: Plan of attack for Etosha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 29, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park