We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drives in Etosha

SF
Level Contributor
94 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
Self Drives in Etosha

We are planning to do 2 days of a self drive safari at Etosha. Our base is Onguma Bush Camp. Can anyone please suggest the best self drive itinerary for 2 days? We are quite open.

Also we are following 2 days of self drive with 2 days of guided drives from Andersson's Camp. Has any one done this and can you comment on where they take you and the experience?

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Andersson’s Camp
Andersson’s Camp
223 Reviews
Etosha National Park, Namibia
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,967 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drives in Etosha

I don't know if it is the best but I would take one trip right around fishers pan with a stop at Tscumcor around 2 or 3 pm.

For the other go around the Okerfontein loops as far as Springbokfontein.

Take both trips slow and your eyes peeled.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drives in Etosha

Make sure you allow an extra 10-15 minutes to get from the camp to the gate. Although Onguma's gate is right next to the park gate, you still have a little way to drive across the property. Also, we asked the camp staff to pack us breakfast as we had paid for breakfast inclusively but wanted to get into the park at first light. They are also happy to pack lunch if you wish.

SF
Level Contributor
94 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drives in Etosha

Thank you Mfuwe for the road map. And Tryhard, good advice on getting the packed food.

Would you suggest all day drives or one at sun up for 3-4 hours, with some R&R by the pool in the afternoon before an evening drive. Or just stay out all day?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,967 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drives in Etosha

Mix and match all day drives with a Morning and Afternoon/Evening one.

Personally I find it hard to stay out all day although I do this a lot in East Africa. but in Nambia the heat drives me in around 11. Apart from Elephant activity at Waterholes nothing else is moving either.

In Etshosa I am at the Resort gate when it opens and back around 11 for late breakfast/brunch. Snooze and out again at 15.00.

(This is why I invariably stay at the NWR places as it saves travel and Gate time.)

SF
Level Contributor
94 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Drives in Etosha

Are there good maps available at the Lodges? Or do I need to download/buy one? Thank you again.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self Drives in Etosha

Once at Etosha, you can, for a few $US, purchase a very thin, but large sized (~8 x 11.5 in) booklet called "Map of Etosha, With Illustrated Animal and Bird Identification" by NWR (Namibia Wildlife Resorts). I bought one as much for a souvenir as for its maps. Also included are time tables and a table of distances.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,967 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self Drives in Etosha

As Steveb. Great booklet (A4 size). Most good Agents will give you one with your Travel pack. MIne did.

SF
Level Contributor
94 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self Drives in Etosha

Thank you for this information. I guess I will have to wait to see if our agent gives us one.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,967 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self Drives in Etosha

Khaja,

why not email them and ask if one is provided? If they say ask them to get one for you.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self Drives in Etosha

Which is the best NWR lodge?

Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park