We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive Etosha Park

3 posts
Save Topic
Self Drive Etosha Park

This is August 2009 and wondering if self driving a regular rental car through Etosha is practical or if a 4 X $ is absolutely necessary. Very experienced driver at this type of thing so wondering if taking it easy with a car is doable.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive Etosha Park

Can of worms duly opened.

Four vists to Etosha and a fifth pending. I have NEVER felt the need of a 'Chelsea Tractor'. You cannot go 'off road' and the roads are good. Some may say the extra 30mm height increases the view. I have never found it so. Do you really need that bit 'Extra' to see a Rhino or an Elephant?

I like the sound of you taking it easy. That's what a Safari is all about. Not emulating the Dukes of Hazard.

Ouside Etosha my rented Corolla/Golf has got me everywhere I wanted to go from Damaraland to Caprivi without fuss and with half the fuel.

Breaks off for dissenters.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive Etosha Park

You can read past posts for more views.

Car is fine. 4x4 is not necessary.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drive Etosha Park

You will not need a 4x4 to visit Etosha.

You have a great tar road up all the way from Windhoek, and in the park the worst you will get is a slight 'bumpy' bit.

You can manage this easily in a 2x4.

The benefits of a 4x4 for Etosha is the higher ride height, so you can see further, but in a 2x4 it is very do'able

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Berks UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drive Etosha Park

And just for a change i'd agree with the above.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Drive Etosha Park

LoL. Saintadi. Always good to start the day with a smile.

Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self Drive Etosha Park

Just back from a wonderful 3 weeks in Namibia.We rented a Nissan X trail 2 WD.

Well, the main road through the park is fine but the various roads that get you to the waterholes are a bit rough because they had an an usually heavy rainy season and you will find a lot of big stones on these roads. Put it this way we had a puncture and thankfully it was near the gate, because you cannot get out of the car in Etosha.As long as you are ready to deal with a flat tyre a higher 2WD is enough.But we saw a lot of saloon cars around and old style WVGolfs!

7. Re: Self Drive Etosha Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park