We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

etosha

Santa Barbara, CA
8 posts
Save Topic
etosha

My husband and I will be In the Etosha area for 4-5 nights. We would like to camp a couple nights and lodge a few nights. We would love a place with great game viewing and not super duper crowded. We also want easy access to roads within etosha as we will be self driving throughout the park. Do you recommend staying IN etosha part of the time and a private concession part of the time? (For what reasons) I hear okakuejo is great, but where has the best view of the waterhole?

Our main focus is location location location. We want a nice view with wildlife nearby. We don't need fancy food or crisp linen...but we will pay extra if it means a deck overlooking a waterhole, or some other draw. We will have a 4x4 with roof top tent, so info on the best campsites would be appreciated, as well as info on lodges/tented camps. THANK YOU!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: etosha

Etosha...sounds like Okakuejo will suit.With option of camping, or nice chalets right up near the waterhole.In fact run outside and trip and you'll be bathing in amongst the animals.

Seriously, the wateringhole viewing is so close.With seats behind the rock wall where you can settle down any time of night or day.We had a rhino wander up to us, probably about 20 feet away.The waterhole is possibly 3o metres away.

You'll have options for self drive to other wateringholes further out in Etosha.

Got to be in by sunset or you get locked out.Check times.

Night viewing will have to be by organised game drive.Can be bitterly cold.

Chalets there are very nice.You'll need to book them well in advance to get the best in the front.

Personally, I'd save the money, use your tent, and splurge on a lodge elsewhere.

2 nights at Okakuejo may be enough then move further across to the one of the other camps.Naumatoni or, what's the other one guys???Halali!A change of scenery can be great.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,824 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: etosha

If you want to avoid the 'crowds' then you probably want to stay in a nearby lodge, like Ongava.

Small numbers and virtually guarateed great sightings. But don't miss out on Okuakuejo, either.

The waterhole there is superb, but you'll be sharing it with maybe 50+ people compared to less than 20 at most lodges. Price reflects exclusivity.

Etosha isn't the only place, though. EG Hobatere or Okonjima or CCF or several places should give you close game encounters.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: etosha

Hi yomanz,

I've never stayed over at Namutoni, so I can't comment. But Okaukuejo and Halali both have terrific waterholes for night viewing. I personally prefer the Halali one, because you tend to be a bit higher than the waterhole, but the viewing "platform" is a lot smaller (so can get a bit crowded). The last time I was there we had a mother and calf black rhino and 7 hyenas all drinking at the same time within about 20m of us. Plus a honeybadger playing around amongst them.

But Okaukuejo is also fantastic. Possibly some of the best nighttime viewing I've ever had. Can't go wrong with either! And Etosha's upgrades have certainly produced some great accommodation as well. Don't discount their chalets too quickly.

I think it's a nice idea to rough it with the rabble, and then spend some chill time at the lodges.

Hope you have an awesome trip.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: etosha

There are a number of options but it depends how much you want to spend. I agree, the best camp for game viewing at a waterhole is Okaukuejo. Then you have Ongava GR just to the south and bordering Etosha NP, but it is expensive.

On the other hand you can also stay at Namutoni. There is also a waterhole although not as well visited by animals as at Okaukuejo. There are a number of private game reserves outside the park with a range of types of accommodation, prices etc. Onguma Lodge for example is not overcrowded and has a camp near a waterhole.

Werner

Eko Tracks

5. Re: etosha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, October 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park