We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

27 Day Self Drive Namibia

Wellington
2 posts
Save Topic
27 Day Self Drive Namibia

Hi,

My partner and I are self driving for 27 days though Namibia1 Fabulous - super excited!!

Our plan is:

Night 1 & 2 stay in Windhoek

Day 3 drive to Tsauchab River Camp

Day 6 visit Sossusslies dunes then drive on to Namib Naukluft Park

Day 7 drive to Walvis Bay

Day 9 drive to Ugab River Camp or Wilderness Camp ?

Day 11 drive to Aba- Huab

Day 13 drive to Ongongo Camp

Day 15 drive to Purros Camp

Day 17 drive to Opuwo (kunene Village rest camp)

Day 18 drive to Rucana Camp

Day 19 drive to Onguma Camp

Day 21 drive to Okaukuejo Camp

Day 22 drive to waterberg

Day 24 drive to Erongo wilderness camp

Day 27 drive to Windhoek

Day 28 fly home

We're hiring a 4x4 pop-up from Africa Tracks Car rental with camping gear and a icebox.

Any feedback on our itinerary would be greatly appreciated!!

Are ice-bocks ok? is it easy to find ice to keep cool?

thanks Fi and Todd

d

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 27 Day Self Drive Namibia

Hi Fi and Todd,

What an incredible journey! Absolutely magnificent, and the type of trip I would love to undertake when I have some time on my hands.

I'm going to comment a bit, but I must admit that I've never been so deep into Damaraland, and I don't know the roads up there, so I'm commenting from a weak base ...

Namibia is my passion country - a land of such beauty and diversity that it takes my breath away, and I'd love to explore it as thoroughly as you intend to.

I would suggest, with respect, that you may find 9-odd days in Damaraland and the Skeleton Coast a little daunting. It certainly is spectacular area, and full of fascinating stuff, but to spend 30% of your time there could be a bit much.

You may find that Swakopmund/Walvis area has a real wealth of incredible things to do, and could warrant more time (maybe 4 days). Guided desert tours, kayaking, trips to Sandwich harbour, and the like may really fascinate you.

The Kunene regions and Etosha are really worth a visit (I think you'll love Etosha - absolutely must do). Erongo is fascinating, and Waterberg beautiful.

And Sossusvlei, Tsauchab and the surrounds are unforgettable.

If you've got some time, Fish River Canyon may be worth the diversion.

A small suggestion if you're in that area, is the Caprivi region (Namibia's answer to the Okavango), and there's also an area called Kaudom that you may find intersting. I've never been there, but I understand that there's still a significant San population in that area, and it could be a worthwhile stopover. You can do a mokoro trip to the Popo Falls in that area, and Mahangu Game Reseerve is highly recommended.

You could also consider a quick trip into Botswana to the Tsoldilo Hills and the Okavango Panhandle.

Try contact jimshu on this forum, he may have more worthwhile insights in the Damaraland side - he worked on a volunteer project there last year!

In terms of ice ... I think in some places, ice supplies may be two days apart - lets hope someone with more knowledge of Damaraland comments. And don't forget fuel - I think along one of those routes it's 800km to the next flling station.

WOW. Lots of oppotunities (and been a self-drive you can change as and when you like - brilliant!)

But on the whole, you have a magnificent itinerary, and if you've got a small spot in your 4x4, can you spare it ... (LOL)!

Hope you have a great one!

Aussie
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 27 Day Self Drive Namibia

Hi,

We just returned from a 3 week self drive 4x4 with roof top tents. Absluty loved every minute of it. We did a similar itinerary, just a few hints to help you have an enjoybale trip.

DO NOT RELY on ice. Hire a car fride. We went up north to Opuwo which had the only supermarket for hundreds of ks. There wasn't alot thier no fruit or veg, only meat we could get was warthog they called it Kasler. What I'm saying is supplies are hard to get.Grab what you can when you can. On the way down from Rucanna we were stopped at quarnatine after we finally found a shop with some nice meet, it was confiscated from us. We didn't have food that night had to go to a lodge and ask then to sell us some.

I am happy to assist further if you want some info.

my email is dvickers@tpg.com.au

If your interested in photos emial me and I'll send you a link to some great photos of the areas your going to.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 27 Day Self Drive Namibia

Hi

The route looks fantastic, but why 3 days in Tsauchab? You will find ice only in grocery stores and petrol stations in towns and cities, not in rural areas.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Wellington
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 27 Day Self Drive Namibia

3 days in Tsaubab area as we love walking / day hikes... would love to do an over night but all the ones I've found you need to carry camping equipment - I'm assuming that means carrying a tent ... anyone know? We don't really want to have to carry around a tent for the whole trip (from NZ) just for one nights hiking.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 27 Day Self Drive Namibia

Only 1 night at Okaukuejo?Hey that place is amazing.Try for two at least.

6. Re: 27 Day Self Drive Namibia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park