We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etosha Waterhole Chalet Booking - accommodate 3 adults?

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Etosha Waterhole Chalet Booking - accommodate 3 adults?

Hello,

I am looking for information on the best way to book a premier or regular waterhole chalet at Okaukuejo for 3 adults. We will be visiting Etosha the 26th-28th. I have made a few different inquiries through what I think is the Etosha website (nwr.com.na) but I cannot get their website to work. Very frustrating. I have also read that they are known for sometimes not honoring reservations upon arrival that were confirmed online. Will 3 adults fit in a waterhole chalet?

We are coming to Namibia for 8 days, the 20th-28th. Our plan is:

1 night in Windhoek (staying at the Hilton)

2 nights in Sossusvlei (Namib Dune Star Camp, Namib Desert Lodge)

2 nights in Swakopmund (we were going to do 1 night in Walvis Bay, 1 night in Swap, but I read that Walvis is not as nice....would you agree?)

We were going to do 1 night near Torra Bay, but I also read that it is barren. I was hoping to see the shipwrecks and skeletons, but is that further north? I can't seem to pinpoint where the shipwrecks are located. The other option is Damaraland. If we are in Cape Cross, would you recommend taking C34 up to Torra Bay and then inland to Damaraland? Or from Cape Cross, should we go south back to C35 and across?

Finally, we then have 2 nights in Etosha before heading back to Windhoek and Cape Town.

Does that sound like a good itinerary for 8 nights? Thank you for any information.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etosha Waterhole Chalet Booking - accommodate 3 adults?

The regular waterhole chalets only sleep 2 adults so you would need a Premier Waterhole if you are 3 adults. There were a few teething problems I believe with the online booking system but they seem to be ok now as far as I am aware. At one point it seemed they were clashing with the regular booking system and double bookings were happening. The reference numbers you get are also a different format to the traditional booking references as well so I think initially that caused confusion at camps.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
682 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Etosha Waterhole Chalet Booking - accommodate 3 adults?

I have been trying to book Etosha for a November 2017 trip with no luck. I inquired through the national park website in December and was told I had to wait until January for November bookings. I sent the request on January 2 and was told my dates were already unavailable. They did not consider the alternate dates I provided. I have been emailing back and forth with them. I sent 6 options of dates/resort combinations listed in numerical order of preference. It takes days to hear back each time. The response was that they wanted me to send my order preference. Very frustrating! I fear I am not going to get a room even though it is so far out. I want to book these rooms first and have the rest of the trip flow around it.

I sent another email this morning and then tonight I went to the website again and completed the online inquiry form. I am actually booked with confirmation numbers for one night at Halali and one at Okaukuejo, but I want three nights total. I really wish their system was better.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
81 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etosha Waterhole Chalet Booking - accommodate 3 adults?

Tried booking there as well, several weeks ago, for may 2017.

First response was that there was no availability for my dates, and whether others dates were possible for me.

After I responded I could not change the dates, all of a sudden a waterhole chalet was available.

By that time, it takes time for them to respond, I had already booked in an other camp.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,843 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etosha Waterhole Chalet Booking - accommodate 3 adults?

That is when using a local agent pays off! I have sent mrs.G (post #1) my itinerary, she booked the places, and we are ready to go. Problemless and worriesless, for the third time in a row.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
682 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etosha Waterhole Chalet Booking - accommodate 3 adults?

Xelas can you send me the contact info of this agent, please? Thanks

6. Re: Etosha Waterhole Chalet Booking - accommodate 3 adults?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, January 12, 2017
Windhoek, Namibia
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Etosha Waterhole Chalet Booking - accommodate 3 adults?

Yes it sounds a good itinerary and i hope you have done pre-bookings as availability is a challenge

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Etosha Waterhole Chalet Booking - accommodate 3 adults?

pugman. xelas is referring to Gemma Dry in post# 1. Contact her via http://www.discover-namibia-safari.net

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etosha Waterhole Chalet Booking - accommodate 3 adults?

I agree with mfuwe and xelas-

Use a local agent. You will save money and you will save a headache.

10. Re: Etosha Waterhole Chalet Booking - accommodate 3 adults?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 14, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Etosha National Park