We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midland or Bay City Restuarant

Which Midland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Midland or Bay City Restuarant

I'm driving down from northern Michigan and have a flight out of MBS early next Monday evening. Looking for suggestions around Midland or Bay City for dinner before the flight.

My first choice is fish - whitefish, perch, walleye.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midland or Bay City Restuarant

In Bay City on Wilder Rd there is a nice Red Lobster Restaurant. I don't know of any local gems that you might be looking for. Im sure Midland has some nice places too. The red lobster is a 2-3 miles east of 75. Take the Wilder Rd exit (north side of Bay City) and then east 2-3 miles. sits on the north side of the road, and other chains in that area, mall etc. There are some places on the river front downtown too. Might be worth exploring.

Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midland or Bay City Restuarant

Lighthouse, if you're heading south to Midland, and looking for places to eat, no need to go to Saginaw...There are many places around the Midland mall...Benigans, Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays. Or for upscale try Molly's downtown, they do a very nice job, and try their poached pear/maytag bluecheese appetizer, they usually have a fish offering. Also, Shari's which is a bit outside Midland, has excellent upscale food, probably the best in the tri-city area.

While you're in the area, check out the downtown Midland area, the streetscape is in full swing this time of year, with colorful plantings, and be sure to see the "tridge" which is a three way bridge. Bring your bike and try out the rail trail. Midland is one of Michigan's "secret" finds...once you know where to look.

Chicago,IL and...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Midland or Bay City Restuarant

Shari's was HORRIBLE. I travel a lot and have dinned in plenty of nice places. We paid 230 dollars for a party of four and I could have eaten better at Applebee's. I had the stake, it was horrible. In places that are said to be "fine dining" one should know you hardly ever see things on the menu that come with a Bone, its known the meat is not as high quality, my Porterhouse was dry with no flavor and not worth the 30.00. The service was not up to par either. The whole feel was cheap and hill billy like. I would never pay 200 dollars to eat in a place where I can hardly open the door. so sad.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midland or Bay City Restuarant

If you are looking for a good restaurant in bay city or Midland... and you are flying out of MBS.... then go Kathleen's at Apple Mountain... it's in Freeland, not far from the airport. It's a nice atmosphere, and if you liking golfing... it's actually a nice course.

I hate to say it, but no one really takes advantage of the waterfront as far as restaraunts are concerned. If you are looking for steak, go to the Lumberman... it's really good. If you want Itallian, try Nina's or Tony V's. For Chinese, there's the Mandarine House in Essexville... Fish... well, we don't really have a great place for it that's not the typical chains.

Hope this helps!

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
46 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midland or Bay City Restuarant

For sea food, the two best local options would be either Old City Hall on Saginaw Street in Bay City, or the restaurant in the DoubleTree, also in downtown Bay City. Both of them usually have at least a couple fish options on their menus, with the DoubleTree leaning more sea food than not. If you're looking for more "down-home" style fish, you can find a fish fry in almost any local bar in Bay City on Friday.

I have to say I'm disappointed at the people who were recommending chain restaurants. I tend to think people who use TripAdvisor are the ones who are looking for more of a local experience and not wanting the same food from the same restaurant that they have at home.

Naples, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Midland or Bay City Restuarant

I had just the opposite experience at Shari. The service was impeccable, the food fantastic, and the wine pairings were excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in the area. A real diamond in the rough!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Midland or Bay City Restuarant

raso3401 you sure had to search tripadvisor to pull up a post that was started over 3 years ago.

I see this is your first post. If you have a comment or a report you would like to contribute you don't have to go back to an older post to do so.

You can make a new post.

Naples, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Midland or Bay City Restuarant

Well, I didn't search all that hard to find this - I simply "googled" Shari Restaurant in Michigan, and this came right up - so sorry if this was inappropriate.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Midland or Bay City Restuarant

Since Light has given me a lot of good advice over the last few years, I thought I was doing him a big favor by giving him some restaurant recs in my neck of the woods. LOL-and then saw the old, old post. Oh well..... :)

10. Re: Midland or Bay City Restuarant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Midland