We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

popup camping western UP - tips on nature and misc. ?

Which Marquette hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
central Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
popup camping western UP - tips on nature and misc. ?

2 adults and 5 yr. old spending 5 weeks in our popup. Traveling western and upper WI and over to western UP. Thoughts include popup camping in bear country (does our canvas smell good enough to eat?), great low-key camping spots, must-see natural beauty, fun non-commercial activities (county fairs, local events ok). Last time on forum I found posting by Marquette prof., but can't find now. Also, I previously read about a festival in Marquette (July or Aug) that brings out an eclectic local population, but only one I can find is Hiawatha Festival - which may be the one.... Thanks for any info you care to share.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: popup camping western UP - tips on nature and misc. ?

Yeah the Hiawatha brings out an eclectic group all right...

That's probably what you are thinking of and based on your interests in travel & activities it is probably something you would enjoy...traditional music and crafts etc...camping available...event is at the Tourist Park in North Marquette...not my cup of tea but it draws a large "eclectic" following and perhaps someone else here can expand on that. 7/20-7/22 this year...

The following weekend is Art on the Rocks in Marquette which is a large (200 or so ) art exhibit at POResque Isle Park on Lake Superior...it is ajuried show and draws 15,000 plus...very wide variety of art work...from painting to photography to pottery and more.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: popup camping western UP - tips on nature and misc. ?

Oh man, you guys are going to have such a good time!! There's tons of things to see and do in the U.P. that sound like they'd be right up your alley. Here are a few of my favorites...

Sylvania Wilderness:

fs.fed.us/r9/ottawa/recreation/wilderness/

Porcupine Mountains/Lake of the Clouds:

exploringthenorth.com/porkiesum/intro.html

Copper Harbor...a bit of a trek, but a really cool little area:

http://www.copperharbor.org/

I don't know if you'll make it this far East, but again, really cool stuff...

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore:

http://www.nps.gov/piro/

Kitch-iti-kipi...(Big Spring):

exploringthenorth.com/bigspring/spring.html

There's a few for you, there's tons more to do in the U.P. but this should give you an idea and get you started in the right direction. Let me know if you have any other questions...

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: popup camping western UP - tips on nature and misc. ?

Don't worry about the bears. They are only interested in your food. If you make sure your food is put away and your garbage is stowed properly you should be OK. I would reccomend camping at the Bond Falls Flowage near the town of Paulding. The falls there are beautiful and flowage is nice spot to camp and paddle. At night you can drive over and see the Paulding light. Google it, it's fun to see

Don't miss Lake of the Clouds in the Porcupine Mtns. There is some good, not too strenous, hiking there as well

4. Re: popup camping western UP - tips on nature and misc. ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 03, 2009