We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Mackinaw City?

Which Mackinaw City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Mackinaw City?

My girlfreind and I are spending a long weekend in Mackinaw City in mid July. We are bringing our bicycles and want to stay close to the city so we can walk or ride bikes to bars, restaurants, shops etc. We would also like to have a beach at our hotel or a lake/bridge view room. Also we would like to visit the island, can we take our bicycles on the ferry? Any suggestions would be appericiated. Thank you!

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Mackinaw City?

We stayed at the Clarion a few years ago and it was very nice. We walked to places, so you would definitely be able to ride your bikes. We had a wonderful view of the bridge and there was a nice beach.

Yes you can take your bikes on the ferry for an additional fee. Be sure to check out the individual web sites for the ferries as sometimes they have coupons.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Mackinaw City?

No recommendations, but any motel on the water will be close enough to bike to anywhere in town, with about a third being within a reasonable walk. Mackinaw City is a small community and the business area is pretty compact. http://www.mackinaw-city-lodging.com/ is a good place to compare motel prices.

You can take your bikes on the ferry for an additional fee. I suggest going over first thing in the morning and visiting downtown Mackinac Island before it fills up with other day trippers. Then riding the rest of the island which stays relatively uncrowded. If you go later, visit the rest of the island first, and save the downtown for early evening when the crowds have thinned out.

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Mackinaw City?

I've stayed at both Best Western's although the Thunderbird isn't on the beach it's very nice, the other one (can't remember the name) was also very nice and on the beach although I was there in November. If you want the great bridge view then your best bet is the hotels on the north part of the city as opposed to the east side. I'd just look at Trip Advisor ratings to choose if I were you. You'll be able to walk everywhere in Mackinaw City - very compact...

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Mackinaw City?

It's been a few years, but we liked the Clearwater Motel on the edge of town. Upscale place with inside pool and terrific views. Decent beach too as I recall. They used to have campfires, they might still have them.

5. Re: Where to stay in Mackinaw City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, August 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City