We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are weekends crowed in Sept.

Which Mackinaw City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Are weekends crowed in Sept.

We are planning a trip to Sault Saint Marie Ontario for the Agawa Canyon Fall Color Train Tour in late Sept. My itinerary is

Tuesday arrive in Sault Saint Marie, spend the night (not sure what hotel yet)

Wednesday train ride ~ departs 8:00AM returns 6:00pm. Stay 1 more evening.

Thursday drive to Tahquamenon Falls. Stay one night at Magnuson Grand Hotel Lakefront.

Friday drive to Mackinaw City for 2 nights (not sure what hotel yet)

Sunday head home.

My question is, would it be better to do that the other way around, start in Mackinaw? I ask because I don't know if it will be less crowded in Mackinaw during the week. Maybe it is not crowded at all at the end of Sept.........arggg~I drive myself crazy planning trips.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are weekends crowed in Sept.

The town will be fairly busy through September, but not crowded. You might save a few dollars booking a room mid-week.

The restaurants and shops will have longer hours on Friday and Saturday, that time of year.

It has been many years since I did the Agawa Canyon color train, but it was spectacular. But the weather is so unusual this year, that who can guess what the color will be like on that weekend. I would try to book things that can be changed or canceled and check on reports in September in case you want to change your dates.

Edited: 2:47 pm, July 19, 2012
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are weekends crowed in Sept.

The hotels would be easy to change, but I don't think the train tickets will be that easy. From what I've heard, they sell out fast. Also, that is the only time I can get off from work. I know it's a crap shoot, I just hope it doesn't rain and there is at least some color change.

We went to Gatlinburg TN at the end of October 7 years ago for the color change. It was a wonderful trip ~ but the trees were still green :-(

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are weekends crowed in Sept.

I no longer have to think about reversing my itinerary. The train tickets are sold out for the last weekend in Sept. I did find out you can cancel the tickets 2 weeks before trip for a full refund. Thanks for you help ~ and I am open to any must see suggestions for this trip.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are weekends crowed in Sept.

Tahquamenon Falls is spectacular in the fall. Perhaps a journey there and to the Pictured Rocks for a cruise?

Once you are looking for colors in northern Micihgan, you have the advantage of being able to go where the colors are at the peak on a given weekend, the colors start farther north and away from the Great Lakes, with the shore lines and southern Michigan changing later.

5. Re: Are weekends crowed in Sept.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City