We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Drive suggestions please!

Which Mackinaw City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Drive suggestions please!

Hi, me and my husband will be staying in Mackinaw City this Labor Day weekend. I was wondering if anyone can give us any suggestions for a nice scenic drive we can take - my husband has never been "up north" and I would like to show him some of the beautiful views up there! I have heard of the tunnel of trees, just not sure where that starts and stops or how long of a drive it is. Looking for something no longer then 2 hours total round trip from Mackinaw City! Also how far is it to drive to Charlevoix? I figure Saturday we will hang out in Mackinaw City for the day, Sunday we will spend on Mackinac Island, and Monday maybe do one of these drives! Then start heading home late Monday afternoon! Thanks for any help!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Drive suggestions please!

The tunnel of trees is on M-119 and runs along a Lake Michigan bluff between Cross Village and Harbor Springs.

I would drive west on Central Avenue out of Mackinaw City and all the way out through Wilderness State Park, Retrace your route to Cecil Bay Road and turn right (south) 4 miles to Gill Road and turn right. After a mile and a half, Gill road forms a "Y." Take Lakeview Road to the right and it will take you through the south section of Wilderness State Park and to the water where it turns into Lake Shore Drive and goes south through some nice sand dunes.

Stay on Lake Shore Drive until you reach Cross Village and M-119 to start the tunnel. In Cross Village, you should check out the old church and Legs Inn with its interesting folk art and Polish food.

You will probably be driving only about 30-40 miles/hour on many stretches of this route and the drive will take an hour and a half to two hours plus stops. A couple of my favorite stops are Thorne Swift Nature Preserve (with trails and a board walk through the marsh) and the pen in Harbor Springs with whitetail deer.

Level Contributor
595 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Drive suggestions please!

I believe to get to the Tunnel of Trees, you take 31 to M-119 @ Cross Village and take the route along the Lakeshore. I believe the tunnel of trees is on this route. That will take you through Harbor Springs, then follow US 31 south through Petoskey then Charlevoix. It's about an hour and 1/2 to Charlevoix from Mackinaw as I recall. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. In any event, 31 all the way to Charlevoix is a nice drive. I just did it recently.

Level Contributor
595 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Drive suggestions please!

See there, better directions than I gave! Glad someone else knew the area better than me.

Michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Drive suggestions please!

Thanks so much for the tips! Sounds perfect!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Drive suggestions please!

Two more interesting stops that you might miss.

The General Store / post office in Good Hart is pretty neat.

And drive down below the bluff there to visit St. Ignatius Church. Although it only has mass a few times a year, it is open during the day and is surronded by an old cemetary. The present building dates from the 1880s, but the history goes back to 1741.

6. Re: Scenic Drive suggestions please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City