We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stop between Detroit and Paradise

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stop between Detroit and Paradise

Hi! I posted this in the Detroit forum and someone suggested I repost in the general MI folder... I couldn't find a general Michigan forum, but I figure this is a good place to ask...

I'm hoping to drive from Detroit to Sault St. Marie (I know Detroit isn't the closest airport, but it's the cheapest to get to). I'm looking for good places to stop along the way.

Have you ever gotten off the freeway looking for a place to get coffee, stretch your legs or check out the local flavor and found nothing and then gotten back on and tried another exit only to find nothing again? That's the sort of thng I'm trying to avoid.

Specifically, I'm thinking of a couple of places to take a 20-minute break, stretch legs, buy lunch, etc. If something is really spectacular, I'm willing to make a little pit stop and really stop and see it--anything picturesque, historical or noteworthy... whatever.

A supermarket would be helpful too.

I love TripAdvisor and... everyone is so knowledgeable, I thought I'd ask...

Any suggestions?

Tawas City, Michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stop between Detroit and Paradise

Sandy -

If you are not in an immediate hurry to quickly press on to Sault Ste. Marie, I'd recommend that you travel the US-23 Heritage Route from Standish to Mackinaw City. This Lake Huron coastal route offers 200 miles of excellent two lane roadway that takes travelers past spectacular views of Lake Huron. You'll travel thru an array of public forest, park and recreational opportunities. The US-23 Heritage Route visits 5 Lake Huron lighthouses and a National Marine Sanctuary and underwater preserve (with a nice visitors center). Friendly small communities with coffee shops, art galleries, gift shops and antique shops are located all along the route.

Check it out:

http://heritageroute.com/

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,997 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stop between Detroit and Paradise

As you must have already guessed, Mackinaw has many options for restuarants and shops.

If you just want a 20 minute break, take the last exit before the bridge, turn left and drive 3 blocks down to the water at the foot of the bridge. There is a nice park where you can walk, view the bridge, Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse and Island.

Other stops: Frankenmuth (10 mile drive), Hartwick Pines State Park, Gaylord, Indian RIver.

Mentioned in this post
Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse
Old Mackinac Point...
515 Reviews
Mackinaw City, MI
Indian River
Indian River
Cheboygan County, MI
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stop between Detroit and Paradise

It depends on how far into the journey you want to stop...here are a few suggestions.

Exit 136-Birch Run...lots out outlet stores if you want to do some shopping...and lots of restaurants, gas stations. You'll find fast food, plus Appleby's, Bob Evans etc....I really like this sandwich/pizza place called Victor and Marek's right across from the main enterance to the outlet mall. Frankenmuth is also this exit, cute little town. Just go right instead of left...then you can drive up that main road and get back on 75 at exit 141 (instead of backtracking).

Exit 212-West Branch...a much smaller outlet mall, lots of restaurants and gas stations...think there's an Appleby's and a Big Boy, plus all the usual fast food joints.

Exit 282-Gaylord...once again, lots of gas stations and restuarants. There's a Ruby Tuesday's, I've always wanted to try the Big Buck Brewery but never got around to it...plus all the usual fast food.

Grayling looks like a good major centre, however I got off there once and there isn't an easy way to get back on to 75 going north. You have to drive up north for about 10 minutes to get back on the highway.

My sister lives in Petoskey, so I do this drive 3-4 times a year...in fact I just did it in reverse yesterday.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stop between Detroit and Paradise

Someone mentioned Indian River, it's exit 310...buger king and mcd's for sure, plus gas.

Mentioned in this post
Indian River
Indian River
Cheboygan County, MI
rod
Marshall, Michigan
Level Contributor
211 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stop between Detroit and Paradise

More about Birch Run and Frankenmuth at exit 136 of I-75/US-23, approximately 100 miles from Detroit Metro:

There is a large outlet mall right beside the interstate highway at this exit, if this would interest you. There is also Tony's I-75 Restaurant, on Birch Run Road just west of the exit. This is not a fancy restaurnat, but the meals there are both good and plentiful -- I recently had their bacon, eggs, and toast for breakfast at a cost of $6.49. The meal I received consisted of about a pound of bacon, a half dozen eggs, and three large slices of buttered toast with strawberry preserves.

My wife ordered a similar meal, but also included hash browns in addition to the meat, eggs, and toast for a price of $7.49. It took a while to find the eggs, since they were buried under a mound of meat and hash browns -- about a pound of hash browns. According to their menu, they serve over 1,000 pounds of hash browns each weekend.

I cannot speak from direct experience about the serving size of their other meals, but their menu does say that their BLT has a pound of bacon on it.

Frankenmuth is known for two things -- the chicken dinners at Zehnders and the Bavarian Inn, run by different branches of the same family, and Bronners Christmas Wonderland, a store where you can buy just about anything associated with Christmas.

I was just there this last weekend.

Southbury...
Level Contributor
87 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stop between Detroit and Paradise

Also at Indian River exit 310, try Vivio's for an excellent casual "sit-down" meal. Great atmosphere.

Mentioned in this post
Indian River
Indian River
Cheboygan County, MI
Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stop between Detroit and Paradise

Indian River's a great little pit stop, right between Michigan's third and fourth largest Inland Lakes (Burt and Mullett). The pace is a little slower, so it's a great week long or weekend destination, but there are a few things to see in an hour or so.

For a quick lunch, Burt's Market has great grinders...homemade buns, fresh meats & veggies...the Burt's Special is my favorite...by the way, they're HUGE...I'm a big guy and 1/2 is plenty for me...yum!!! Call ahead, they take about 15-20 minutes...231-238-2878 Vivio's is a great suggestion too...absolutely the best pizza ever, and pretty darn good Italian too, but they don't open until 5. I know someone else mentioned The Cross In The Woods, that's a great site to check out for a few minutes too. If you go the take out food route, swing down to DeVoe Beach on Burt Lake to eat...great views, sandy beach and good people watching. If you have a few extra minutes, check out some shops downtown. My favorite is McClutchey's, a kind of high end old fashioned department store...their slogan is "everything to wear". Service is key in this store, where the friendly ladies wait on you hand and foot. The Goldenrod is a nice little jewelry and knicknack shop and Drost's Chocolates has delicious chocolates, fudge and ice cream.

Have a Great Trip!

Mentioned in this post
Burt Lake
Burt Lake
Cheboygan County, MI
8. Re: Places to stop between Detroit and Paradise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, August 31, 2009