We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most affordable accomodations race weekend 7-21-07?

Charlotte,NC
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Most affordable accomodations race weekend 7-21-07?

Hello, We have a wedding to attend at the Grand Hotel the weekend of July 21, 2007...race weekend. We have two teenage daughters and are looking for a relatively affordable place to stay on the island. Is this a reality? We are open to B & B's, condo's any suggestions. It will be my first trip back in over 20 years and my husband and daughters have never been to the island. We are looking forward to it.

Thanks

Spring Lake...
Level Contributor
173 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most affordable accomodations race weekend 7-21-07?

GOOD LUCK--especially if it is race weekend!!!

Did the wedding party book a block of rooms?? STart with that.

If not go online and just start calling for avaibility. When I worked up there that was a huge weekend and people book a couple y ears in advance for rooms. Pricing on the island is always more in the summer months so plan on a couple hundred a night minimum.

Nice place for a wedding to take place-that is where I worked and weddings are always beautiful there.

Go to mackinacisland.org and that will give you a list of places to start calling--you can also look up the camber of commerece website to get listing of all the places.

Good luck.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most affordable accomodations race weekend 7-21-07?

If the pricing is too high, consider staying on the mainland.

That time of year, the last ferries to the mainland are at 10 or 10:30, and there are worse ways to end a day than a boat ride on the Straits after dark.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,812 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most affordable accomodations race weekend 7-21-07?

If you can find a room at any price...take it!

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
128 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most affordable accomodations race weekend 7-21-07?

You know how it goes. Supply and Demand. Race weekend is the highest demand and lowest availabiity. So everyone raises thier prices. Even the mainland prices go up, just not as significant.

Michigan
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Most affordable accomodations race weekend 7-21-07?

The web site for Mackinac Island is www.mackinacisland.org

Go to the bottom of the page, click on accommodations. Then click on hotels. At the bottom of that page is a place that says all accommodations. It lists all the places to stay on the Island. This web site you kind of have to move from side to side to see things And make the page move up and down. It has two side arrows.

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most affordable accomodations race weekend 7-21-07?

Stay in St Ignace...Holiday Inn Express a good choice

Take the ferries daily, save a bundle

Charlotte,NC
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Most affordable accomodations race weekend 7-21-07?

Thanks everyone. I haven't checked the site for a while because we ended up booking at Haans 1830 Inn. We needed to accomodate my teenagers and it looked like a pretty cool place. We are staying in the William Beaumont Suite...both my daughter were born at Beaumont Hospital (one in Royal Oak, the other in Troy).

http://www.mackinac.com/haans/rooms.htm

8. Re: Most affordable accomodations race weekend 7-21-07?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 28, 2009