We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend 3 days in the UP?

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How to spend 3 days in the UP?

We are two moms traveling with four kids total (2 boys, age 13 and 2 girls, age 10). We are driving from Central Wisconsin to St. Ignace on Saturday and plan to stay one night there. We are staying one night on Mackinac Island (amazing 1-night rate at the Lake View Hotel for $119!!!). The question is where to go next? Spend a night in Mackinaw City or back to St. Ignace? I'm completely unfamiliar with the area other than the research I've done on TA.

Please advise! Our trip is almost upon us - yea! Thank you,

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to spend 3 days in the UP?

do you plan to return to central wisc after mack island??

if so, i strongly recommend you take a drive past pictured rocks national lakeshore....

http://www.nps.gov/piro/index.htm

it would be a real shame if you are so close, and don't get to see it.....

if you plan to continue south after mack island, then i strongly suggest you adjust your plans and make it a point to swing by pictured rocks on your way to mack island.... no sense in backtracking several hours west to get there.... you won't be able to have a quality visit if you try to cram the long drive to st ignace along with a pictured rocks visit, therefore, if you do this, spend the nite in munising....

if you plan to go back to wisc, then i suggest stopping by the big spring on your way to mack island... also, depending on where you're coming from, piers gorge is worth a looksee.....

exploringthenorth.com/bigspring/spring.html

www.thingstodointheup.com/piersgorgehiking/

then hit pictured rocks on your way back, via highway H-58.

if you're heading south out of mack island, then be sure to check out sleeping bear dunes national lakeshore, near traverse city...

http://www.sleepingbeardunes.com/

www.nps.gov/SLBE/planyourvisit/index.htm

drive the coastal route as much as you can between mack city and traverse city via county highway 81, M-119 and US-31.... very scenic.

don't know what else to do in da yoop? browse thru these links to find out...........

http://www.uptravel.com/

www.exploringthenorth.com/mich/mich.html

gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/maps/greatlake…

http://www.saultstemarie.com/soo-locks-46/

better budget more than 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited: 6:48 pm, June 17, 2014
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to spend 3 days in the UP?

Although St. Ignace is a bigger community, there are more things to do in Mackinaw City. In addition to better views of the Mackinac Bridge, there is Fort Michilimackinac, Historic Mill Creek Adventure Park, two lighthouses open to the public (one free), a museum in the 290' retired Coast Guard Cutter Mackinaw, mini golf, free laser light show, small free Mackinaw Bridgemen Museum, and more. Your kids are just the right age for the Jack Pine Lumber Jack Show.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to spend 3 days in the UP?

A second vote for Mackinaw City. I think the kids would enjoy the activities.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to spend 3 days in the UP?

Thanks for the great advice! We will keep our day/night in Mackinaw City.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to spend 3 days in the UP?

Thanks for the great tips! We are headed to Eagle River after Mackinaw City. Pictured Rocks is not on our way, but we may need to detour - looks amazing! So glad I asked for advice. Thanks again!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to spend 3 days in the UP?

Another amazing detour which would take less time to appreciate is Tahquamenon Falls.

Clio, Michigan
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to spend 3 days in the UP?

My kids always love the Big Springs. Not too far off your path, definitely worth a 1/2 day trip. The Big Springs is also known by the Indian name of Kitch-iti-kipi.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
309 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to spend 3 days in the UP?

Definitely Mackinaw City. Drive past Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore if you are driving back to Wisconsin through the UP.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to spend 3 days in the UP?

What fabulous details. Thank you!! We are heading to Eagle River after the yoop, so these are all great stops to make!

Thanks again!

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to spend 3 days in the UP?

Just now planning tomorrow's drive to Eagle River. Planning on Pictured Rocks boat cruise. Thanks!