We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, where did I eat that wonderful dinner?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Help, where did I eat that wonderful dinner?

Yeah, I know guys, VERY bad question, but it's not totally my fault. TA drops old posts from our lists after you reach a certain number. So instead I just spent time going through some old pages from 2011 (it seems I may still owe you parts 9, 10 and 11 of my trip) and I can't find the details.

We ate at a very nice hotel dining room right on the water. I believe it was the last one before the beach area. The entry area had beautiful flowers planted along the area and the view was incredible. I remember a number of other couples were there for their anniversary too (back in October) so it's a popular place for special events. Was it the Hotel Iroquois?

I'm still hoping I can find more of those old posts, but I'd appreciate any help I can get. Some family members will be coming back to the Island and I'm trying to give them some tips. Yes I know Tyme, I should join them, shouldn't I?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, where did I eat that wonderful dinner?

Yes, you are right. The Hotel Iroquois has beautiful gardens and the entrance to the restaurant is simply breathtaking. I have an oil painting of the entrance of the Iroquois hanging in my home. It was painted by the owner of the Murray Hotel on the Island. Can't wait to return in June. Your family will love the place.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, where did I eat that wonderful dinner?

I also recommended the Main Street which is one of the places we stayed at. She balked at the price of the large suite (I'm usually pretty frugal, so I understand) so I thought I'd offer another suggestion. I remember saying when we entered that I'd love to stay there. I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be rather pricey.

As to the Main Street, I told it her was incredible, worth the money we paid, which is NOT my usual reaction.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, where did I eat that wonderful dinner?

YES, of course, YOU should be returning! I was so excited to see your moniker on the MI forum!!

Phare is correct and I agree with both of you, Hotel Iroquois is beautiful. I have never dined there, on a bucket list. I loved Main Street Inn and Suites. My college roomie and I stayed there and had the big suite, 3rd floor, left side, w/ balcony overlooking Main Street and a water view to boot. I thought it was expensive too, but sometimes you simply splurge!

And you should get the room next to them, WHEN you come back this summer ......... ;)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, where did I eat that wonderful dinner?

Yes, it was the Iroquois, even a bit pricier than I expected. Oh to be made out of money. Tyme, that sounds like the room we had (if left is when you're facing the hotel). Sometimes a room is just a room other times it really makes the trip. I'd rather remember that view and the furnishings than the mold in the Lake View's shower. If there were anyway we could swing it, I'd consider it, but I think that trip's out of the budget this year.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, where did I eat that wonderful dinner?

The view was fabulous at the Iroquois, but I wasn't that impressed with the food.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, where did I eat that wonderful dinner?

Our meal was good, but what I remember most was the three couples--perfect strangers--starting to talk about our wedding days. I thought I would have reviewed it, but maybe it was buried in my Trip Report. I do vaguely remembering being disappointed with something in one of our meals, but some parts were very good.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, where did I eat that wonderful dinner?

We have eaten there many times and the food isn't anything special for the prices they charge. I had the Salmon the last time we ate dinner there and it was so dry, I swear it was cooked the day before. I had better Salmon at a buffet restaurant. Last year while waiting for the ferry, we went to the outdoor patio garden(beautiful) and had a huge cheese/fruit plate and cocktails. It was wonderful and it easily could of fed 4 people. I recommend going to the outdoor patio for lunch or appetizers. Overall, the gardens and views are amazing, Food not so amazing. The hotel rooms are very nice, but expensive. Try staying out of season for better prices.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, where did I eat that wonderful dinner?

That's a great idea, Phare! The cheese/fruit plate sounds filling and easy on the wallet, and can still experience the beauty of that patio/view!

FT-- :(

Edited: 2:05 pm, January 11, 2014
9. Re: Help, where did I eat that wonderful dinner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 13, 2015