We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vist Mackinac Island day of Chicago to Mackinac yacht race

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
89 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Vist Mackinac Island day of Chicago to Mackinac yacht race

My husband will be up north without our kids and would like to visit Mackinac Island on Tuesday July 25. However, we just found out the yachts will be arriving that day from the Chicago to Mackinac race. Exactly how crowded will the island that day and how how crazy will the partiers be?

We want to arrive about 9 and stay until 4 or so. We are staying at a beautiful B&B so we don't want to stay the night on the island.

Anyone know what the island will be like that day?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vist Mackinac Island day of Chicago to Mackinac yacht race

I have been there on the day the sailboats return. I didn't think the crowds were bad. I haven't been there before so I have nothing to compare it to. We took a buggy tour and didn't have to wait long to get one. I did notice the bars were crowded but it wasn't a routy crowd. I enjoyed watching the boats arrive. So go ahead and plan your trip. Have a great time.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
89 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vist Mackinac Island day of Chicago to Mackinac yacht race

Thanks. My DH and I had a feeling that most of the boat people would be in the bars not on carriages, etc. We will go. Thanks for the answer.

Mackinac Island, MI
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vist Mackinac Island day of Chicago to Mackinac yacht race

That's exactly it, the boaters come in and attend private parties and/or hit the bars. I've talked to sailors who have been going to Mackinac for twenty years, and they brag that they have never been off of Main Street.

4. Re: Vist Mackinac Island day of Chicago to Mackinac yacht race

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 13, 2009