We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update to Grand Hotel Dress Code....Just Returned

Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
192 posts
505 reviews
Save Topic
Update to Grand Hotel Dress Code....Just Returned

Well, first of all, thanks to those of you who said I wouldn't be out of place with dressy slacks. Here's my comments: On my first evening I wore the black Eileen Fisher crepe slacks, pale grey silk tank, black Eileen Fisher jacket, dressy patent leather ballet flats and pearl/sterling necklace. I was one of the better dressed ladies in the room (in my own humble opinion). There were some other lovely outfits, but overall I was surprised at how casual most women were. As Monday night was very chilly I went ahead and wore a cashmere sweater set and grey wool slacks and brought a cashmere shawl to stroll on the porch. Again, I felt comfortable and classic. I'd say the split was 60% pants and 40% dresses/skirts. There were several large tour groups in the hotel and they tended to be the most casually dressed. Private business groups were also there and tended to be dressier. I did see the most adorable girls, around 12 yrs. old wearing pretty dresses and fascinator hats in their hair.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update to Grand Hotel Dress Code....Just Returned

Thanks for the report dre! I'll be there in a couple weeks, so I will report back here with my observations! Hope you had a lovely time!

Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
192 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update to Grand Hotel Dress Code....Just Returned

I'm still mulling over my full trip report. Will probably post tomorrow or the next day.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update to Grand Hotel Dress Code....Just Returned

Oh, I've got to track it down! It's fall so I'm back for my MI/Upper fix.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update to Grand Hotel Dress Code....Just Returned

You could have come to MI for that fix, FT, rather than read about it. Hahaha....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update to Grand Hotel Dress Code....Just Returned

High season in July and August is the time when you see the best dressed crowd. That is when the families who pay full freight and stay an extended number of days visit. It's all Lili Pulitzer dresses and brooks brothers then. Off season is a bit more casual.

Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
192 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update to Grand Hotel Dress Code....Just Returned

You are correct about the September crowd being more casual. There were several large tour groups who were not very dressy at all. I fact, it was rather disappointing to be seated for high tea next to folks in cargo shorts, sweatshirts, baseball caps and tennis shoes.

United States
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update to Grand Hotel Dress Code....Just Returned

I was there years ago and amazed (in a head spinning linda blair kind of way) by their dress code. I live in downtown Chicago and appreciate the fact that even in our nicest of restaurants the establishments don't generally regulate what the customers wear.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update to Grand Hotel Dress Code....Just Returned

When you spend $700 a night or more, you think you should be permited to select what you wear?

United States
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update to Grand Hotel Dress Code....Just Returned

That was my thought :)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Update to Grand Hotel Dress Code....Just Returned

Ah, but the issue is when you spend $700/night you get to chose who or what you have to look at!