We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in the UP

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to see in the UP

We are traveling to Mackinac Island to stay July 1st - July 6th. Wanted to see if there are any reccomendations on what to do outside of the Island. Day tirp would be preferred as we will hav to leave the island and then go back. We are driving up so we will have a car parked on the Mackinaw city side of things.

Thanks in advance.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see in the UP

There was a post last week that may be of interest:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g42423-i351-k67854…

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see in the UP

The U.P. has more natural beauty than just about anyplace around, and the previous post LoveVacations mentioned has some great day trip advice. If you're looking for something like this, I'd definitely take YooperBacker's advice in that post.

If you're looking for a little more civilization, I'd drive into Petoskey or Harbor Springs. Both towns are about 1/2 hour drive from Mac City and offer a lot of fun things to do. Petoskey is a little bigger than Harbor and has some really great shopping, restaurants, etc. Both towns are on Little Traverse Bay (Lake Michigan) and have a very resorty feel...Petoskey always reminds me of a mini San Francisco...a really hip little town. If this sounds more like what you're looking for, let me know and I'll be more than happy to fill you in on some things to do and see in the Petoskey/Harbor Springs area.