We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lilac Tree or Main Street Inn

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Lilac Tree or Main Street Inn

Our family of four is planning a trip to Traverse City in mid August. I thought Mackinac Island would be a good side trip. Our boys are ages 3 & 4. I want to stay somewhere on the island where we can walk to most everything without exhausting the kids. The Main Street Inn on-line looks like a nice hotel at a really bargain price. Is it too good to be true? Has anyone stayed there? I figured any decent place would be at least $200/night at peak season. Another important factor is that my husband can't live without air conditioning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Janet

Mentioned in this post
Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island
Mackinac County, MI
Main Street Inn and Suites
Main Street Inn and Suites
#1 of 12 hotels in Mackinac Island
Hotel Iroquois
Hotel Iroquois
#2 of 12 hotels in Mackinac Island
Lilac Tree Suites & Spa
Lilac Tree Suites & Spa
#3 of 12 hotels in Mackinac Island
Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lilac Tree or Main Street Inn

What a great vacation combination! I haven't stayed at either one of the Mackinac Island hotels you mention, but they both get excellent reviews. They are also both right downtown and near the docks. The Lake View, Iroquois and Chippewa are also right downtown. Hotels a little further up the main street are the Island House , the Inn on Mackinac and the Harbour View Inn in that order.

On our next trip to the island we'll be staying at the Harbour View. I have a 3 & 5 year old and think we should be fine walking into town and back as long as we stop to rest before heading back.

Many people say you don't need air conditioning on the island. We didn't have air conditioning a couple times on the island and regretted it both times. Once was at the Lake View in one of their non-airconditioned rooms. Being downtown it was a little noisey at night with the windows open.

Mentioned in this post
Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island
Mackinac County, MI
Hotel Iroquois
Hotel Iroquois
674 Reviews
Mackinac Island, MI
Inn on Mackinac
Inn on Mackinac
402 Reviews
Mackinac Island, MI
Harbour View Inn
Harbour View Inn
739 Reviews
Mackinac Island, MI
Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lilac Tree or Main Street Inn

We are scheduled to stay at the Lilac Tree from 7/10-7/12. We will be traveling there after driving up the western coast of Michigan and staying in Traverse City.

When we return, I will let you all know what I thought of the Lilac Tree.

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Traverse City
Traverse City
Grand Traverse County, MI
michigan
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lilac Tree or Main Street Inn

My nephew works on the Island at the Cherokee. He tells me that the Lilac Tree is "Very Vey Nice."

I found this on their website. "All of our suites are air-conditioned and include a large bedroom, seperate spacious living room, two cable televisions, three telephones, marble bathroom, refrigerator, microwave oven and coffee maker. For a 360 Tour, click here."

Hope this helps...

Mentioned in this post
Cherokee
Cherokee
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Mackinac Island, MI
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lilac Tree or Main Street Inn

Both are right downtown.

Both are relatively new.

Main Street Inn is brand new, offering bargains to build up business.

Both are more or less owned by the same people.

The Chippewa and Lilac Tree are owned by Benser/Nephew.

The Main Street Inn is owned by just one of them, I forget which.

They are both nice.

For kids (and some adults) Harbor View is about a ten minute walk to the heart of downtown.

Mackinac Island, MI
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lilac Tree or Main Street Inn

As far as air conditioning....

It is true that in the old days air conditioning was not at all necessary. There are still many places and homes that do very well without it, and there is almost a constant breeze coming in off of the lake.

However, it seems like it is often more humid than it used to be during deep summer. Sometimes, only for part of the day--then it cools down again. A few days each summer are that humid that only can be relieved by air conditioning, most others an open window and old-fashioned fan is enough.

A lot of it really depends on your location. If you have a lakeside room at the Iroquois or Chippewa---two hotels that are genuinely

'on the lake', you can rely on decent breezes.

If your hotel is blocked from the lake by buildings, or quite a ways off the Main Road--less possible circulation. And so on.

However, if your husband 'can't live without air conditioning', he could be like my mom---and absolutely nothing will satisfy her except air conditioning.

6. Re: Lilac Tree or Main Street Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 13, 2009