We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any feedback on The Woods restaurant?

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
Any feedback on The Woods restaurant?

My wife and I will be on the island in a couple weeks celebrating our wedding anniversary. I've already made reservations at The Woods, however I've ready many reviews recently that the service leaves a lot to be desired. Because of this, I've started leaning towards The Carriage house, but like the idea of the cab ride to the restaurant as part of the experience.

Can anyone provide some feedback on their experience at The Woods?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any feedback on The Woods restaurant?

It has been several years since I have been to the Woods, but I have been to the Carriage House this year. The Carriage House is a lovely setting, but the food did not impress me.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any feedback on The Woods restaurant?

I'd keep your reservations at the Woods simply for the experience. Take a taxi early enough to walk around Stonecliffe and venture out to Sunset Rock. It's a great view and probably one of the most 'got engaged here' spots on the island.

The Woods itself has lots of character, a nice bar, a duckpin bowling alley and personally the only issue I've had is a long wait on the entrees...more of a kitchen issue than the waiter. I can't complain about the food at all.

LHL2 is right about the Carriage House setting. It's waterfront location is hard to beat. We had dinner there last September and enjoyed it, no issues with the food or service. I'd go back anytime.

Some evenings we will go by the Carriage House and sit out back, order a glass of wine and appetizer and later have dinner at another downtown restaurant. Carriage House also serves lunch as an option.

Personally, I look forward to going back to both.

Have a great trip!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any feedback on The Woods restaurant?

Ditto! The Woods is such a great experience, from the ride up on the taxi to the stroll around The Inn at Stone Cliffe to the unique atmosphere at The Woods. It really is special. It has never been a speedy dining experience but it has generally been a worthwhile experience. Enjoy! Moms

4. Re: Any feedback on The Woods restaurant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 10, 2014