We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tricycles on Mackinac Island

Oak Park, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Tricycles on Mackinac Island

I will be spending a weekend on mackinac island with my husband and three children. We won't be able to do any major biking since we have a three month old, but I was interested in bringing the older kids' bikes/trikes just to get around town. Has anyone brought a tricycle for a toddler to the island? Will she be able to get around without too much traffic, or should I stick with a stroller?

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tricycles on Mackinac Island

They have tandems, little trailers for children, and other attachments (call / search web for Mac. Isle. bike rental info.).

I would be a little bit concerned with a small child because traffic. especially in town, can get pretty heavy.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tricycles on Mackinac Island

When will you be there? Crowds can be a big factor.

In any case, someone that small on a trike would be at risk downtown.

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tricycles on Mackinac Island

I would stick to the stroller. I would be concerned with:

A: Bikes running her over – bikes are not allowed on the sidewalks on the island.

B: Horses running her over - you can only steer a carriage so much

C: She riding through horse poop and having a stinky bike!

I’m an adult and sometime have issues with the above list while riding on Main Street. :)

Oak Park, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tricycles on Mackinac Island

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely stick with the stroller. Do you think a 6 year old on training wheels will survive?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tricycles on Mackinac Island

They can enjoy the road around the Island, once they get away from the downtown. Unless you are off season, downtown is too busy.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tricycles on Mackinac Island

I agree with all three of Kilarney's points...and I think even a youngster using training wheels could have an issue with one or all three of those points.

Edited: 2:42 pm, June 04, 2013
7. Re: Tricycles on Mackinac Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island