We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay?

We have never been to Mackinac Island, but we thought it might be a fun trip this summer. We have 2 adults and 3 kids (ages 7, 5, and 3) in our party. There may be an additional 2 adults with us as well. We really wanted to try to find a house to rent, but I haven't found any. It looks like most lodging is hotels. We love to ride bikes so we are definitely bringing those, and we were looking to stay 3-4 nights. Any suggestions? We don't want to break the bank either.

Thanks for your help!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

I just posted this link to another thread, but it will help you find the least expensive lodging on the Island.

travellingassassin.com/2013/…

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Summer time stays on the island are not cheap. A 3-4 night stay may exhaust kid friendly and biking activities.

I would suggest a night or two on the Island and a night or two in Mackinaw City. There are a lot more kid friendly activities in Mackinaw City and accommodations, while still a bit pricey, will be less likely to break the bank and give you more choices than the island.

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

If you decide on Mackinaw City, we stayed at the Lighthouse View last week. It was reasonable, had a good location, fairly good sized rooms and friendly owners. The towels were thin and there was no refrigerator, but if you are driving, you might bring along a nice cooler. With the Bridge and Lighthouse right across the street, it was nice slipping over there for more photos early or later in the day.

This photo was taken Thursday evening. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

We were just there & stayed at the Lakeview. It has an indoor pool area & is kid friendly. Offers breakfast with the room. Suggest buying ferry tickets in advance online.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

Is it Lake View or Lighthouse View? Is it right across the street from the Riviera?

Kansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

LIghthouse View. Not quite across the street, a half block west. No breakfast there, but a party store across te street.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

The Lakeview on Macinaw Island. Check out thier web site.

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

I would recommend you check out the Island House hotel. We have consistently found it has the best rates. They have several different types of packages that include breakfast, dinner, and ferry tickets. I recommend that, at a minimum, you consider getting the breakfast package. Breakfast is a full buffet that is really quite good. Getting breakfast elsewhere on the island can be very expensive. And most breakfast places are very busy. The restaurant at the Island House for dinner in the evening is actually quite nice as well. We typically go once a year and every year say we are going to try someplace else. But by the time I add up all the pieces, Island House always seems to come out as the best value.

A other tip - if you are renting bikes, don't rent near the ferry or at the hotel. Across from the Island House (and a little down the street) is a bike rental place. Rates seem to be a little better and the bikes are in good shape. Just plan ahead.

Michigan
Level Contributor
124 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay?

There are some nice suite hotels right on Main Street. The Murray is probably one of the least expensive.

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
207 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay?

Another option is to stay on the island for two nights and the city two nights. We found that after two days on the island it gets a little boring.