We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat on the Island with kids

Michigan
Level Contributor
127 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat on the Island with kids

We are staying at Mission Point Aug 14-16. Where would be a fun place to eat dinner with 2 young boys (ages 4 and 7). One night we will eat at the resort but the second night we would like to eat outside of the resort.

MICHIGAN
Level Contributor
85 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat on the Island with kids

Depending on how much you want to spend, The Woods up at Stonecliff is an "event". You take a horse taxi from downtown up to the restaurant and back. The adult meals are in the $20 range, but I believe they do have a children's menu. It is owned by the Grand. Just through the bar area is a set-your-own pin duck pin bowling alley that my kids love to play.

Otherwise, downtown there are some more casual restaurants like Horn's Bar where you can get burgers, nachos, etc. The restaurant at the Chippewa Hotel has a outdoor patio restaurant overlooking the marina. Most restaurants have their menus posted.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
563 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat on the Island with kids

The Pink Pony is a cool restaurant in the downtown that has seating on the water. Casual and not stuffy.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat on the Island with kids

I don't recall the name, but there is a tiny sandwich and fish & chips place on the water at the foot of the Shepler's dock. Haven't tried it this year, but the food was adequate and the boys would enjoy sitting outside looking out at the ducks and boats.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat on the Island with kids

We like to eat at the Yankee Rebel Tavern on Astor St. Nothing terribly exciting, just kid friendly and good food. My son also loved the huge popsicle he got at the end of his meal a couple years back. We're going in a couple of weeks and we're going to try out the Woods Restaurant.

For lunch Mission Point has a place called the Lakeside Marketplace that we like to get sandwiches from and eat out on their lawn by the water. Their Bistro on the Green is also very good and it's outside which is really nice on a nice evening.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat on the Island with kids

I agree that The Woods restaurant is a treat for all. The duck pin bowling is a hit with my three children. The children's menu is good and the adults menu is unusual, its German. You can't beat the horse drawn taxi ride up to the restaurant and the atmosphere is wonderful, very upscale hunting lodge.

Have a great time! Moms

michigan
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat on the Island with kids

mybj: Another good resturant is the Village Inn just up the street from the Lakeview Hotel, my wife and I always eat there when we go twice a year. They have a planked White Fish that is out of this world although it is not real cheap, it is worth every penny ($21.00 I beleive is what we paid last year)! They also have steaks and burgers set in a very casual atmoshere.

p.s. They don't serve the planked White Fish until after 4:00pm because it is brought in fresh daily!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat on the Island with kids

mybj, you've gotten a lot of good recommendations here on where to have dinner. I hate to be negative, but please let me make one recommendation on where NOT to have dinner...The Epicurean. You mentioned you'd have dinner one night at Mission Point, but I'd advise you to look somewhere other than the Epicurean. We stayed at Mission Point last weekend and had a wonderful time, except for our dinner in the Epicurean. My wife loves The Carraige House in the Iriquois Hotel and wanted Saturday dinner there, but I wanted to try the Epicurean...boy did I hear about it afterwards! The ambiance is wonderful and the food is quite good, but the portions are horribly small and the service is just plain bad. I hate to even write this, because we were so happy with everything else at M.P, but their fine dining restaurant is in serious need of help.

Michigan
Level Contributor
127 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat on the Island with kids

Thanks for all of your advice! I really appreciate it.

9. Re: Where to eat on the Island with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 16, 2009