We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic concerns on July 4th weekend

Voorhees, NJ
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traffic concerns on July 4th weekend

My husband and I are planning to fly into Detroit and drive to the Ferry to get to Mackinac Island. Mapquest says its about 5 hours. Our concern is this: Will the 5 hour drive turn into a 10 hour drive due to the holiday week? How are the "crowds" on Mac over the 4th of July. Can guidance you can offer will be appreciated!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Traffic concerns on July 4th weekend

It depends on the age of your children and whether or not you want to be downtown for dinner. My children love the Woods restaurant right next to the Inn at Stone Cliff. The food is German but they have a good kids menu. The restaurant features a duck pin bowling alley that keeps my kids happily occupied while we enjoy a leisurely dinner.

We love the Inn at Stone Cliff and stay there every year. Have a great time! Moms

Hanna,Indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Traffic concerns on July 4th weekend

Moms so we made a good choice with the The Inn at Stone Cliff I'm so glad to here that. We are so excited to stay there over the 4th it should be a blast. On the restraunt we have a 5 year old so the restraunt you talked about in your last post sounds like just what we are looking for. So the name is .......The Woods Restraunt ? I would like to call and make reservations if they take them for dinner the night of the 4th. Thanks so much...76tamaramoser

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Traffic concerns on July 4th weekend

76, You might look for a location from which you can see multiple fireworks displays from the Island.

From the Mackinaw City shore, folks can also see the St Ignace and Island displays (and from some locations - Cheboygan's).

Hanna,Indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Traffic concerns on July 4th weekend

lighthouselovertoo well the thing is we are staying the night on the island thenight of the 4th at the Stone Cliff hotel. So we want to look for a restraunt on the Island. But thanks for sharing the other great locations. 76tamaramoser

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Traffic concerns on July 4th weekend

Right, those were "for examples."

I'm guessing there are similar spots on the island to look for..

Have fun.

Keith

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Traffic concerns on July 4th weekend

The Woods is owned by The Grand Hotel. You simply walk across the beautiful front lawn of The Inn at Stone Cliff and you are there! Be forewarned that the food is truly German and hearty but it is a delicious in a beautiful setting!

We love The Inn at Stone Cliff. We always stay at the Summer House in a suite. The rooms are clean and beautiful. I love packing appetizers (there is a small refrig in the room for cheese, dips, etc.) and wine and having happy hour on the balcony of our room. The pool is great if the weather is good. It is outdoors so if the weather is bad there is no swimming.

The Inn is a good half hour to 45 minutes from town by horse drawn taxi. We like the distance but others prefer to be downtown. We also love the view of the Mackinaw Bridge from the front porch of the main inn. Have a great time! Moms

27. Re: Traffic concerns on July 4th weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, August 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Mackinac Island