We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mackinac Island 3 night stay

Dallas
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Mackinac Island 3 night stay

We are planning a trip in June 2013 or over the 4th. We were going for 3 days but when reading forums not sure if that is too long. Would love peoples opinions if there is enough activities/things to see to be there 3 nights or if we should do something else. We are coming from TX and it is not cheap so want to stay but don't want my husband bored if we are "people watching" 50% of the time. Your thoughts?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mackinac Island 3 night stay

Some people feel a week is too short, while others would be satisfied with one or two nights. Since you are asking that quesion, I suspect that you are in the latter group.

The Island is fairly small and all of it can be easily seen or visited in a day and a half.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
406 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mackinac Island 3 night stay

It really depends on what you are into doing. Do you enjoy history, hiking, biking, taking in nature? If so, 3 days will be great-possibly not long enough. On the other hand, if you want to to take in attractions, enjoy a fast paced "city" atmosphere, and need to find entertainment to enjoy vacation, then 3 days might be too much.

We are those people for whom 3 days is never enough. We don't people watch but we do enjoy the slower pace and natural beauty the island provides.

At the very least, I would recommened one night on the island. It is a totally different place in the evening after all of the day trippers leave. It's also very nice to be there first thing in the morning to watch the island "wake up". Enjoy!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mackinac Island 3 night stay

We go for 3 nights every year and love it. We do a LOT of walking...everywhere. We enjoy dinner at a different place each night. It is especially great to stay at The Grand for 3 nights, but that would be pretty darn expensive in the middle of summer. We go in the spring.

Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mackinac Island 3 night stay

We stayed 3 nights when we were there this summer. I would probably add at least one night and possibly two the next time we go. We didn't spend much time in the interior of the island, and I'm really hoping to do that next time.

Niles, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mackinac Island 3 night stay

I have been to the Island many, many times and I've stayed as little as one night and as long as 5 nights. If you just want to cover the downtown area and shops along with a few tourist things, then 3 nights is plenty. If you've never been the island and love to explore, bike ride, golf, hike, horse back ride etc., etc., there is PLENTY to do. I still haven't seen everything, done everything that there is to do and I've been visiting for years. If you are a budget, you can probably find a better deal for lodging if you stay a week or longer.

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mackinac Island 3 night stay

I could stay the whole summer! :)

california
Level Contributor
188 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mackinac Island 3 night stay

Please, tell me about 3 nights at the grand.....we arrive 9/10 for 3 nights....how dressed up for meals?

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mackinac Island 3 night stay

Formal dress for dinner (6 PM). Dresses or nice pantsuits for women, suit for a man-tie and jacket, required. Doesn't have to be uptight formal though...if you get my drift. LOL. 3 nights at the Grand, should be just grand! W hat else do you want to know, specifically?

dublin tx
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mackinac Island 3 night stay

Just curious - what are your travel plans? My sisters and I would like to visit Mackinac Island - leaving from DFW - but not sure what's the best way to get there! Are you driving or flying? THANKS FOR ANY INFO!!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mackinac Island 3 night stay

Stilljustanut, Although there are closer airports, the best combination of flight options, fares, driving times and rental car costs usually mean using one of the downstate airports, typically Grand Rapids or Flint. We are flying into GR on our next trip from Kansas City.

Edited: 9:11 am, January 08, 2013