We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tahquamenon falls or Munising picture rock national shore.

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lombard, Illinois
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tahquamenon falls or Munising picture rock national shore.

All,

Below is my 2 day itinerary.

Day1:

Ferry to Mackinaw island

Bike to Mackinaw island state park,bockike on trails

Return the bike

Parasailing on island

Take carriage taxi to arch rock

If time permits:fort mackinac or lighthouse

Day2:

Munising picture rock national lakeshore or tahquamenon falls

Mackinaw city historymill creek discovery park

ZIP lining.

Go back home.

Please let me know if i am missing anything.

Also which one is more worth it,Tahquamenon falls or MUNISING

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tahquamenon falls or Munising picture rock national shore.

There are no lighthouses on Mackinac Island. You will pass two that are nearby on ferry ride.

Unless it is important to you. I would put off the parasailing for another place or time and spend more time seeing the Island.

It is hard to say which is more worth it, but you are squeesing a lot into a short time and it will take less time to see Tahquamenon (plus the drive is shorter).

Mackinaw City has two lighthouses which are open to the public. One of them is free. The 290' retired WW1 Coast Guard Cutter, Mackinaw, is a good museum.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,524 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tahquamenon falls or Munising picture rock national shore.

agreed, you're cramming way too much in 2 days... you're gonna be skimming over some great places that deserve more than a day.... not to mention the 7-8 hours you're gonna spend getting up there and back.... i'd say do one or the other--ie, pictured rocks OR mack island....

if you do end up cramming as per your itinerary:

all things considered, pictured rocks over tahq falls... with all due respect, tahq falls is beautiful, but one CANNOT go up to the eastern yoop without going to pictured rocks....

end of story.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tahquamenon falls or Munising picture rock national shore.

Tahquamenon Falls is closer to the Mackinac Straits and can be done as a day trip from there. Pictured rocks is further away and you'd be overwhelmed with what there is to see and do there. Beautiful but save it for another time.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,524 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tahquamenon falls or Munising picture rock national shore.

thing is, if they come up/down thru wisc, they'll drive right by pict rocks, more or less... if that's the case, i'd opt for pict rocks over tahq falls....

Illinois
Level Contributor
229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tahquamenon falls or Munising picture rock national shore.

Hi fellow Lombardian - I agree with StrangeTripper. Go up Michigan side, after day at Mackinaw, drive to Munising for Picture Rocks, come back home thru Wisconsin.

Brentwood TN
Level Contributor
141 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tahquamenon falls or Munising picture rock national shore.

Thank you for posting this topic! We're going through the exact same debate over going/staying at Tahquamenon Falls or Pictured Rock after Mackinaw, but we'd be camping and have 4 nights. I keep wondering if it's worth the drive or not. Being a first timer, it's daunting with all the choices!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,524 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tahquamenon falls or Munising picture rock national shore.

noleman, trust me, you need to go to pictured rocks...... if anything, put up your base camp near pictured rocks and just do a day trip to tahq falls.... or, on your way to PR from mack, take a few hours and swing by tahq falls.... if you decide to blow off pictured rocks, YOU WILL BE MAKING A HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tahquamenon falls or Munising picture rock national shore.

The falls are beautiful. There's actually two different locations to drive to - aprox 15 minutes apart. However, it's hard to spend more than a few hours. They do rent row boats at the lower falls and you can go over to a little island - short distance. That included you 'll spend 4-5 hours at both sites. For a full day I prefer the Munising area - a longer drive. If you do the pictured rocks pick a warm dry day. We went once on a damp cool day. Not only was it uncomfortable, but the rock cliffs weren't as attractive to to the dim lighting. I like the one hour drive along Lake Superior to the north of Munising. Many places to pull off the road and enjoy the incredible sandy beaches. Also, if you have enough time, the locals can direct you to a (state?) lakeshore area just south of Munising where there's a pretty decent view of the rock cliffs and a swimming beach - temps permitting.

Edited: 11:12 am, September 02, 2012
Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tahquamenon falls or Munising picture rock national shore.

Hello! I just spent 11 days in August travelling to Tahquamenon Falls and Munising/Pictured Rocks, with the majority of the time spent around Munising. It really is a beautiful area. Since we went in summer we were able to spend a considerable amount of time at Sand Point Beach and Miner's Beach, both worth a visit even if it's not summertime. We also enjoyed a few nearby waterfalls and driving through the Picture Rocks National Lakeshore.

Tahquamenon Falls and Whitefish Point were also very nice, and you can see it all easily in one day. We saw the falls, then headed to Whitefish Point and spent time on the beach there, as well.

I recommend visiting both places, but maybe with your limited time, Tahquamenon Falls may be best for this trip as it is closer to Mackinaw and easier to do in one day, then plan another trip where you can spend a few days in Munising. :) There's a lot more to do around there.

Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tahquamenon falls or Munising picture rock national shore.

I just re-read the previous posts, and even though I recommended Tahquamenon based on your itinerary, I do have to agree that Pictured Rocks is much more impressive to see, even though the Falls were beautiful, too. (I'm a sucker for waterfalls, though...)