We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The island in May... Black flies?

Ontario, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
The island in May... Black flies?

Looking to visit the island at the end of May and wonder if anyone has had a problem with Black Flies at this time of year. I'd hate to be out riding a bike or hiking and have the fun literally sucked right out of the trip.

Also, if anyone has any advice on staying at "The Island House" I would appreciate the input.

Thanks;

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The island in May... Black flies?

I don't recall seeing black flies out that time of year. I've mostly noticed them in late July and into August. They are nasty things aren't they. They have caused us much discomfort on camping trips.

The Island House is nice. Their prime rib is wonderful. The last time we stayed there which was 2 years ago, we had a room on the first floor right by the front porch. They had some kind of party booked on Friday night and people were walking on the porch into late into the night and talking loudly which kept waking me.

Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The island in May... Black flies?

I can tell you that in the Upper Peninsula the black flies arrive around Memorial Day and are gone around July 4th, so .......

Mentioned in this post
Grand Rapids, MI
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The island in May... Black flies?

Black flies shouldn't be a problem as the others have stated. However be prepared for the island to be a bit cooler than the mitten (sometimes as much as 10 degrees cooler in may).

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The island in May... Black flies?

I agree with everyone so far...the nice thing about the island is that the cooler temps and strong breeze keeps the bugs at bay most of the year. If you were going inland to the U.P. I'd tell you to beware of black flies, but I don't think you'll have a problem on the island!

Swartz Creek, MI
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The island in May... Black flies?

I've never really noticed them too badly and I'm there the whole summer. Not too many bugs there though. The bats come out and eat them at night. The Island House is a good place to stay.

Ontario, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The island in May... Black flies?

Thanks for all the input. I'm sure my wife and I will have a great time on the Island.