We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any thoughts on mission point resort?

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,769 posts
271 reviews
Save Topic
Any thoughts on mission point resort?

i'm thinking of visiting M-island later this summer.... never been during the summer, just a coupla times during the winter back in the 90's (we snowmobiled across and rode around the island)....

talked to a neighbor and she raved about the mission point resort.... she's originally a michigander (GRR).... she said they've stayed there several times and each time is never long enough...

the resort looks pretty nice on the website, but the TR reviews look like a mixed bag.... but then again, if you read my reviews on the old-timey places, i usually give them good reviews.....

she also mentioned they did some kind of family package deal for something like 500 bucks for 3 nights--all inclusive (3 nites, meals, ferry and a few other goodies)... i didn't see anything like that on their website... not by a long shot.... thoughts?

it appears it doesn't have AC.... will this be a big issue on the island? if it's 90 on the mainland, what can we reasonably expect on the island, especially at night?

thoughts? comments? advice?

thanks!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any thoughts on mission point resort?

Hey ST. The main lodge with its vaulted ceiling is impressive, and the location has some great views. I've stayed there before and was pleased but here's the thing; I think the differing reviews come from which building you stay in. The old dorm rooms (originally a college) are not attractive at all. They tried to put us in one and we refused, and I don't believe they had ac (many to most places don't). \\

We stayed in the main lodge in a small suite and we had a window ac(this was a few years ago). The resort has two or three restaurants including one on the lawn between the resort and the water. There's also one, bar like, with great views of the water. We've been happy staying there but others havn't.

The resort is on the east end of town so its a walk to downtown. You may get more consistent reviews from other places. Also try searching this forum as there has been several posts regarding Mission Point.

Edited: 9:49 am, June 20, 2012
Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any thoughts on mission point resort?

Hey Strange, I think Rono's right on in his assessment. We've stayed at MP in the past and been very pleased, but had a pretty bad stay last fall. We've never stayed in the old "dorm" rooms but I believe we've stayed in that building in the jacuzzi suites and two room suites...neither or which were very impressive. The named suites on the other hand are great...spacious and well located. If you're willing/able to spring for a higher end room I'd go for it, if you're looking for a more basic rate I'd at least explore other options.

As for food, I've found the Round Island Grill (the bar Rono mentioned) to have terrible food. The upscale restaurant was excellent last time I was there, but it's been renamed "Chianti" and turned into an Italian restaurant...I've not eaten there since the change.

I wouldn't worry too much about the A/C...I'm a HOT sleeper and have never had a real problem on the island. Most places at least give you a box fan, put it in the window and you should be good to go...it cools off pretty well at night. If you're concerned, ask for a lower floor unit, some of the upstairs units in those old buildings can get kind of stuffy.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,769 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any thoughts on mission point resort?

thanks for the info...

i saw they had some packages that included meals at the onsite restaurants... we usually bring our own stuff, anyway...

i know this subject has been covered many times, but where would you recommend for 1 or 2 nites for a family of 4 (2 small boys) that won't break the bank? looks like no matter where you stay during high season, it's gonna be expensive!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
402 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any thoughts on mission point resort?

If you bring your own stuff you might consider a condo rental. The accomodations aren't always "updated" but very comfortable and usually more affordable. Most have kitchens available, and many have washers and dryers. Very handy with little ones.

Some places to look are Sunset Condos and Lakebluff Condos. Both of these are about 2 miles out of town though. Park Place Suites, Harbor Place Studio Suites, and Voyageur Inn are all close to or in town. Take a look!

Forney, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any thoughts on mission point resort?

We were a group of 4 ladies who stayed in the 'dorm' rooms because we needed a suite of two rooms with king beds and an adjoining bath, and this was the only accommodation on the Island at that time for our needs. We totally enjoyed this hotel, with lunch on the balcony overlooking the lawn and kite flying and viewing the barges on the strait. The hotel has many amenities, with miniature golf, bikes to rent, full restaurant, very rustic vaulted ceiling foyer with huge fireplace, etc. Our rooms didn't seem dated. We didn't have AC but didn't need it, even in July. We just kept the windows open and were totally comfortable.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,769 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any thoughts on mission point resort?

thanks all for the input. i have to admit, i have a bit of sticker shock from the lodging prices on the island....realistically speaking, and this is no BS, the cheapest lodging i've been able to find during my research is as much, or more than lodging in hawaii...

perhaps i'm comparing apples to oranges (or apples to pineapples, as the case may be), but nevertheless..............

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any thoughts on mission point resort?

You're right. We can only afford to go when there are specials, especially in the spring or fall.

Forney, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any thoughts on mission point resort?

You should check out the Harbour View Inn, beautifully decorated rooms with a great breakfast. Four different buildings all together on the same 'block'. We stayed in the King room in the Carriage House and loved it. Faced the landscaped garden and gazebo. Jamaican maids clean the rooms and are very hospitable and helpful. It is much closer to town than the Mission Point, but far enough away for quietness. It is right beside St. Anne's church and 1/2 block from the Butterfly House. We are going back to this hotel for the third time. Prices are from $85 - $165. Not bad.

Forney, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any thoughts on mission point resort?

Harbour View also has double queen rooms.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any thoughts on mission point resort?

If you are seeing that high of prices, than you are picking the height the season. If you go in June or after about the 20th of August (except for Labor Day weekend) you will see much lower rates.