We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ways to save money on Mackinac-Penny Pinchers Unite!

Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ways to save money on Mackinac-Penny Pinchers Unite!

Hi, I'm looking to save a few bucks while on the island. Any good tips out there? I figured to pack a cooler...what else? Horde the breakfast buffet? Find some great apple trees? Wash dishes at Horn's? Ha ha, share some of your best ideas. Thanks

Williamston...
Level Contributor
836 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ways to save money on Mackinac-Penny Pinchers Unite!

Bring your own bikes so you don't have to rent them.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ways to save money on Mackinac-Penny Pinchers Unite!

You don't say how many nights you're staying. One has always been plenty for us, and the food and wine we pack - along with the free hotel b'fast - has always seen us through. Just don't pack anything that can easily go bad, and use the ice in the hotel for the cooler....

Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ways to save money on Mackinac-Penny Pinchers Unite!

Good ideas thanks, yep 3 nights.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ways to save money on Mackinac-Penny Pinchers Unite!

The best donut ive ever had in my life was at murrays fudge shop and it was 60 cents

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
403 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ways to save money on Mackinac-Penny Pinchers Unite!

Definitely bring your own bikes! Big money saver there.

Enjoy the complementary breakfast and, if you can manage it, eat out one big meal each day. Have or buy picnic stuff/snacks for the rest.

We honestly don't usually spend much on entertainment. The island itself has enough to offer.

Also, I don't know how long they will be offered but restaurant.com has a few deals for island itself. Ice House is a great one!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ways to save money on Mackinac-Penny Pinchers Unite!

Check the brochure rack at your hotel for coupons for the restaurants.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ways to save money on Mackinac-Penny Pinchers Unite!

You probably won't be too hungry for anything big in between those meals. But you could get a sandwich at Doud's Market and eat it on the lawn of the fort or pack it and eat it while walking on the Island.

We go to the Grand every other year and also try and stay 3 nights. We find plenty to do and sometimes just relax. We rarely rent bikes but do a LOT of walking.(free) So many cool places to see. Make sure you walk the trail that starts just down the street on the west side of the porch. Nice views from the bluff. Some other walking ideas...

mackinac-island-insider-tips.com/hiking-trai…

Edited: 7:55 am, June 16, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ways to save money on Mackinac-Penny Pinchers Unite!

I always google for coupons wherever I go. A quick look at the results for Mackinac Island coupons shows a free child's ticket for the ferry, discounts for the Butterfly House and carriage rides, I'm sure there are more--those were just the first couple on the list. None of them are huge, but over the course of a trip they can add up if those are things you're planning to do.

There are also some discounted package deals for the Island that bundle together several things. It is always worth it to total up their price versus buying the things individually. We saved some decent money recently at Niagara Falls this way.

And like someone else mentioned, I look at restaurant.com--but read the details very carefully. There are usually a number of requirements/restrictions to use it and restaurants do not budge on those.

Depending on the destination, I'll also look at the Groupon and Living Social deals for that area. Those are mostly around cities, not rural areas.

Edited: 8:29 am, June 16, 2012
Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ways to save money on Mackinac-Penny Pinchers Unite!

Check out northernmichiganmall.com its a site for WJML, a local AM station. They have all kinds of stuff from hotels to restaurants, activities, etc at steep discounts. They also do a radio show Sat and Tue that offers the same and more deals at even bigger discounts! For example, on that site right now is the Super 8 motel in Petoskey...$89 rack rate, listed on the site for $59 and they just ran it through the radio show at $45. They regularly have restaurant gift certificates for 30-40% of face value.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ways to save money on Mackinac-Penny Pinchers Unite!

Picnic, we always picnic.

N-we love walking that trail, too!