We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mission Point Family Hot Tub Suite?

Which Mackinac Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
783 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mission Point Family Hot Tub Suite?

I'm checking into Mackinac for a quick (three-night) family vacation. I stumbled across Mission Point Resort on the Mackinac Island official website, and the family package it offers looks pretty nice and the family hot tub suite comes at a good price. However, this resort ranks last for Mackinac, and the TA reviews are either very good or awful.

Is this just a case of low-end room-users expecting more than what they paid for, or does this resort just put a shine on a you-know-what? I know one of the main negatives is its distance from downtown, but are the rooms really that bad or are the facility's amenities poor?

If you have suggestions for better places, we're looking at a Monday-Thursday stay in mid-June with two kids, aged 5 and 3. We're not too particular, but we want good value for our money (we don't mind paying $300+ a night for the right package), a bit of room for all of us and either a good location in town or good dining in the hotel.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
393 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mission Point Family Hot Tub Suite?

I hate to speak negatively of anything on Mackinac, but there are reasons for the bad reviews. It seems that those package rooms include the rooms in what used to the be the old dormitories (Mission Point used to be a college). If you are willing to pay that amount there are many very good options on the Island. The first places I would suggest would be either Lilac Tree Suites and Main Street Inn and Suites. Both are steps from great restaurants and have beautiful, clean rooms. You can go down to Mission Point and enjoy sitting on the chairs and watch the freighters go by, or play some miniature golf. Otherwise, you would probably enjoy the downtown location.

Is there anything specific you are looking at in a package deal or in the hotel itself? That might help to narrow down your choices.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
281 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mission Point Family Hot Tub Suite?

I've stayed at Mission Point three times and to me the biggest factor is the distance from downtown. Admittedly the rooms need some pretty serious upgrades and the walls in some are pretty thin, but if you aren't expecting a shiny, new hotel, you should be alright.

If you'd rather skip the unknown, do what Kdets suggests and stay in town at either the Lilac Tree (a personal favorite) or the Main Street Inn and Suites. While you're on the island, take a walk out to Mission Point, walk through the Straits Lodge (former dorm) and the other areas of the hotel and make your own decision on whether it's an option for a future trip.

One thing I'll mention, we always enjoy a meal at Bistro on the Greens...the view is wonderful as is the meal!

Have a great trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mission Point Family Hot Tub Suite?

Thanks for the advice! The package included some ferry tickets and butterfly museum tickets and a few meals. It just seemed like a good way to pay once to see some of the attractions and to get a few meals. I know Lilac Tree and Main Street are the top two, so I'll look into their availabilities.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
393 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mission Point Family Hot Tub Suite?

Lilac Tree will probably offer more of those package deals than Main Street Inn, but you might also check into Island House Hotel. It gets mixed reviews too, but really is a better option that Mission Point in my opinion. We have stayed there many times and prefer the restaurants (especially the breakfast buffet). They also have a family package similar to the one you described. There are also discount coupons on their website (under the tab "plan your visit") which you might be able to use to create your own "package deal".

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mission Point Family Hot Tub Suite?

I guess I'm in the minority, but I have always enjoyed staying at Mission Point. It's only a 10-15 minute walk, and a nice walk at that. The main lodge is beautiful, with it's wood, stone and big fireplaces. Beautiful view from the restaurant and bar of the channel and freighters. The grounds are gorgeous. We love sitting out on the lawn in the big adirondack chairs overlooking the water. What a view and atmosphere.

Yes, the rooms are dated and may need some sprucing up, as are several of the rooms in the older hotels. It is very clean, nice and acceptable for sure. The main gripe might be that it is very expensive. But if you're getting a good deal, it might be worth it.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
150 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mission Point Family Hot Tub Suite?

We stayed at Mission Point a few years ago, and didn't mind the distance from downtown at all. We were there for a long weekend and rather liked being so close to it all yet far enough away from the craziness when we wanted to relax.

We got a two bedrooms suite, and it was unacceptably small for the price we paid. There was a foyer big enough to leave a few pairs of shoes in that lead to a bathroom barely large enough to turn around in and two bedrooms with no seating area whatsoever. When we wanted to enjoy a cocktail before dinner or just socialize, we had to sit on one of the beds in the room to do so.

We had a good time regardless, and enjoyed the MP property overall, but were I going to the island again, I'd definitely choose another property based on the accommodations alone.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mission Point Family Hot Tub Suite?

We've stayed at MP several times and always had pretty good experiences (in the suites, not the dorm rooms) until our last visit. I believe I posted a review here as the service and dining were not nearly up to par. We were also very disappointed in our suite, which must have been the same room catagory BusinessTraveler mentioned above...tiny for a 2 bedroom suite. Have been in the family jacuzzi suites and they're just OK (with lame hot tubs). Stick with a named suite in the main building (My favorite's the Maritime Suite) and you'll be happy.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mission Point Family Hot Tub Suite?

I'd also look into Pure Michigan web-site. We found a package there called Mackinaw Memories or Michigan Memories; I forget. It included ferry tickets, carriage tickets and booked at Lake View. There was a family value package that looked like a good deal but there are only 2 of us and I think it was for more than 2 people. This hotel had good reviews too.

Cheboygan, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mission Point Family Hot Tub Suite?

Hotels all have their ups and downs, but Mission Point is off a ways from the ferry docks, almost a mile, so if you want to enjoy the main street night life - which a lot of people do, it isn't the place to stay. But if you want to get a little away from the hustle and bustle downtown, then it might be what you want.

If you are staying in June for several days, the Lake View Hotel is pretty cool. It has a pool, and is right across from the ferry docks. It also has a huge front porch with rocking chairs to sit in and watch the people and horses go by.

There are a few other hotels on main street in town as well, that I have not stayed at, but I heard were just fine.

Enjoy the lilac festival!

chicago
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mission Point Family Hot Tub Suite?

I think that location will be difficult with kids